Monday, May 1, 2017

For You Diksha

I spent a while thinking of what I could get you for your birthday, especially as it's your 21st. And then recalled, long long ago, when you were around three, I'd read 'Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho, and had thought it's the book I'd gift you when you turned 18. I missed it then...it's on your table now (off my bookshelf :)

I thought of your favorite things; scented candles, incense sticks, diaries, drawing books....and thought I could do that. Also on your table. 

But it's this Deech:

To say how, through this journey of twenty one years, you've taught me how to be mom. You didn't let it just happen.........you questioned and you challenged, at every stage you needed to know the why of things. And today I feel a sense of gratitude, because I've not just learnt how to be a better mom, but have also grown through the process..... shed layer by layer of conditioning, put mind and heart into it.....and it became such a worthwhile journey.

I recall one instance, the difficult teenage years, and to one stretch ask I'd said 'No, you can't'. You were a good girl and you didn't, but we had it on the table for discussion the next day. My reasoning didn't hold..and when you said "You didn't think ma", I listened and I heard. That was a defining moment for me.

A moment I also realized I needed to shift from being mom to friend. That was three years back.

So last week when you said "amma, even if you weren't my mom, I know we'd be friends", I knew I'd done it. It brought tears....tears of joy and gratitude for the depth and beauty of the relationship we share. Like a friend said "you two are like soul sisters". It's a space I deeply cherish.

Now, as I hold my arms out, welcoming you into being an adult (technically), here's a visual journey through the twenty one years:

You, six months old, in Tirupathi


You started with super curly hair, went through a natural straight hair phase, and have now refound the curls you love so much


Nana has his hands full...it's like, 'enough anna, me now'


With thatha and ammamma on one of numerous train journeys we did together


In Jangareddigudem, all of one year old. You insisted on doing what saroja was doing, and she was using this vicious looking kathi peeta, and I had a tough time convincing you that washing the vegetables was as critical an activity as cutting them


With akkaya ammamma, who you also called ammamma, though she was my ammamma 


At Munnar with Praveen mama and Mala aunty


This is a picture I just so love. It was Annas first day of school, and you can see his excitement and nervousness , and then you came in saying 'nenu kooda'....and it's like anna 'in attention' and you 'at ease'  :)


I picked so many you and me pics...no excuses :)


Well....we don't always need words


She's got the looks ....reminds me of 'eye of a tiger' :)


On one of our birthdays


Your bharatanatyam days


You made (make) festivals so special


One of your stray pick ups, I realized I could do a whole series with your stray pet friends


In NewZealand, with Anna and Shravya....this became a trademark pose starting from this picture


This captured a beautiful moment, a day at the Great Barrier Reef, snorkeling...... on the way back, totally washed out, both of you snuggling into me... the quiet, the water...and lovely live music


Straight back at good old jangareddigudem


Also there, at pedda polam


A Rakhi moment...you can see his gift tucked into the back of his pant :)


We're never  too old for those big bear jumpy hugs huh


I wouldn't be surprised if Kiwi might have actually taught us that......this was the welcome you got each day back from school, all of twelve years....no time to even get your bag off


After all the excitement


Another you and me


On a trip to Agra....it's your straight hair days


On your first 10 k run. with Monica. I was so impressed with how you completed it, I don't think you were even ten.


As you grew taller. This is on the road to pedda polam, jangareddigudem


And taller....

Can't not have the kite flying, such a every year feature that it was 


The day of your big basketball match


On your first drumming performance


Years of basket ball, and I'm sure a lot more, that got you to the coveted Sports captain of school  in your final year 


A stray dog at college, which you said would get onto your scooter everyday so you couldn't leave


Morning of your sixteenth birthday bash


Your first time in a saree


An yearly Diwali ritual...one that we still do


Your Comicon days..this time as Mystique. I was amazed at how you did that all on your own, including the face paint.


The effort got you into the papers the next day. On the right is a selfie with ammamma

Bruce, on your first full drive, from Hyd to Bangalore ..... at 19. Wow girl !!


With skittles and cat, atleast his tail...from last year at Bangalore


With Swaroop, me and Amit (and your blue hair:)


Our breaking through comfort zone .... road trip to Coonoor


With Anna at Kovalam


And now. At the cost of sounding cheesy......you hold the light in your hands deech,  just know we're always there if needed......just two steps behind you :)


Following pattern now, a la anna's, for the last one....a nice mushy pic 


Have an lovely birthday Diksha, and many many more beyond. God bless ma. 

3 comments:

  1. Smitha the smiles
    Deeksha the light
    A smile dispels despair
    A light dispels darkness
    Ma and Beti
    Bane Rahe Jodi
    Khuda baneya Jodi
    Zindagi bhar Jodi
    Salman rahe Jodi
    Dua meri Khuda ji.💟💟💟💟💟

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful Smitha. Stay blessed.

    ReplyDelete