Sunday, May 21, 2017

An Interview With Akhtar

Akhtar Hussain has been an integral part of helping me settle into this house. In fact I remember him from the last time I stayed in this house, 5 years back, before moving to Bangalore. When Diksha and I had first walked into the apartment, we straight off fell in love with the place. We just needed the wall color changed, it was a dark purple. 

The owner was reluctant,  he said, same color one coat will do, but different color would mean more work and more money.  It was Akhtar who managed to convince him, and he got me my favorite 'off white' even on those dark purple walls. 

This time round, when I came back to this house, I called our owner and said "could you please send Akhtar, I have a few little things to get done". He's been helping with everything. The carpentry, the painting, the plumbing.....even the polishing of chairs for the therapy room. You tell him and it'll be done.

He seems this quiet, focused, deep, intelligent, no nonsense kind of individual, and I thought it would be nice to get to know him a little better.......or should I say to see life from his perspective. And hopefully enable him to see a little bit more of himself too. So I decided to interview. (yes, I'm fired up on that:)

My first obstacle - having to answer the 'Why'.

"kyon karenge mera interview aap" he asked

Next...what's the purpose he said,  'fayada kya hoga'.  And you can imagine my struggle at trying to get something so abstract across, and that too in Hindi. 

Eventually I guess I got there. He agreed see. I told him there might be no 'fayada' materially, but it's something that might be an interesting experience for both..... that I'd like to do it, and it could possibly be something he may like too. Was he willing to try, I asked.

End of the interview two things became apparent. One, I better understood the validity of his question. Akhtar is a man who does nothing beyond the absolutely necessary in life. It's all about work and family, or maybe even work for family.

Second, before end of the hour,  I daresay he did connect into the experience; for a person who talks so little, he sure opened up, way beyond my questions too.

It was a heart warming experience. 

Here it is in his own words:
(while we spoke in hindi, I'm putting here a translated version, which unfortunately takes away a lot of the beautiful hyderabadi urdu of the original)

Me: Are you from Hyderabad

Akhtar: हौ,  पैदाइश हैदराबादी हूँ  ( just for the flavor of the urdu. Guess being from hyd, I simply love the language)

Me: Tell me a little about your family. The one you were born into. What did your father do, how many brothers and sisters were you

Akhtar: My father had a book binding workshop. We are 9 siblings, 6 sisters and 3 brothers.

Me: How much have you studied

Akhtar: I studied until 7th class. When I was 9 yrs old my father passed away, very suddenly, a heart attack. It became very difficult for the family. My elder brother was already helping my father in the book binding work, but he couldn't manage alone.

So I dropped out of school after 7th, and joined my brother in the book binding workshop, as our family had no other source of income, and we couldn't manage.

Me: From there how did you shift into painting and carpentry and all the other things you are now an expert at.

Akhtar: For five years I did only book binding, till I was sixteen. Then my jeejaji introduced me into the furniture line

It was a factory in katedaan which was making wooden cabinets for Bharath TVs, do you remember, the TVs used to come in nice boxes with two doors then. (I recalled too) .

I did very well there. Within three years I learnt everything about carpentry, and they made me the supervisor.

Those three years were extremely difficult though. I used to go to Katedaan by cycle. I used to work there for twelve hours, come home, eat and then go to the book binding workshop to help my brother, and work till 2 in the morning. The money just wasn't enough. I worked like that without sleep for so many months.

Then the factory owners cousin was starting his own workshop in Himayatnagar, and he wanted me to join him. I did, and there I picked up expertise in lamination coating which was just coming in then. I worked a long time with them, twenty two years, and as they were in the construction line, I learnt everything about everything. They made me in charge of the complexes they were constructing. I also built a strong network of skilled people.

Soon after that my mother died, and after that I went to Dubai for three years.

Me: How was it in Dubai

Akhtar: It was alright. They had a factory there making furniture. We had AC rooms, dormitories with bunk beds, but there AC is a necessity. It was only work work and work.

Also, they didn't have expertise. They were inefficient, they were using a lot more paint than necessary. I did a significant contribution, I changed the way they did their furniture painting, brought down cost by 60%. But they took it for granted. I don't like it when people don't value my work. So after 3 years though they didn't let me go, I took leave and came off.

With the money saved I came back and got two of my sisters married. Then I also got married

Me: How many children do you have

Akhtar: I have four children. 2 daughters and 2 sons. Both my daughters are studying computer engineering, and sons, one is in school and one doing graduation.

Me: I'm so happy to see you educating all your children, especially your daughters to such an extent.

Akhtar: I've told them they can study till how much ever they want to. I will support it.

Me: You don't feel any pressure from the family and others, especially to get them married?

Akhtar: Yes, I do. I have started getting marriage proposals for them, but they want to study and then they want to work. I want to let them do that.

I could not study because of my circumstances. I feel bad when I think about it. That's why I want to atleast let my children study till they want. It makes me happy to see them studying

Me: That must take a lot of courage.  What else makes you happy

Akhtar: What else can make me happy. I don't know.

Me: What about your work, I find you so involved and diligent with your work

Akhtar: Yes, I like my work, and I feel happy when my work gets appreciated and valued. I liked it when people recognized my work.

Wherever I work, I am so committed that I build a relationship with the people there, and it becomes permanent.

Me: What makes you angry

Akhtar: I don't get angry. I never shout at people.

Me: What makes you sad

Akhtar: (the question seemed strange to him. he took a while to answer) I don't  know if it is sad, but it bothers me and worries me a lot that inspite of working so hard, for so many years, everything I earn gets spent equally fast. There is never extra money. Even after so many years I have no savings.

Life is so different today. Our days, if we wanted fruits we used to climb trees and get. Today everything is so expensive.

Me: Are your children very close to you

Akhtar: I think they are a little scared of me. They are very close to their mother. (with an embarassed smile)

Me: Other than work and family, what do you do. What are the other interests you have

Akhtar: When I started to work,  at the age of twelve,  I left everything behind. I have no friends, I don't go for movies. No habits. Nothing. All that went off with my lost childhood.

All day I work. I go home and sit in front of the TV until I go to sleep at 11.

In fact even my neighbors won't know me. My life is only work and home.

Me: What scares you

Akhtar: He actually laughed at the question. (his response made it sound like I don't have the luxury of being scared)

Me: What food do you like

Akhtar: Dal khanna. I don't even pay attention to what I eat. I never complain. In fact I won't even know if there is salt, or anything else is too much or too little. Sometimes my wife asks me how I am eating it without saying anything when there is not even salt in it. But I won't even know.

Since childhood, it was never about what food. It was just about having food to eat.

My younger son, he loves to cook. He'll watch on the net and make all kinds of things, one day he even made chocolates with nice covers. It's that different now. He said he'll go and sell it to shops and I said 'paagal hogaya kya'. (he laughed recollecting the incident)

Me: If he wants to become a chef will you let him

Akhtar: (smiles, seems a little perplexed. I told him I had friends who were chefs and it is a possible profession, even for the educated) I suppose so, I think he can become whatever interests him... maybe

Me: Do you meet with your brothers and sisters often

Akhtar: I have always been helping my brothers and sisters. There is always a need in someones family. I am the only one who helps.

One of my sisters daughter needed to be given blood every month. They were selling things in the house to buy the blood. I helped them to the extent I could.

Another sister, she died and her husband wasn't a dependable man. Both her sons are with me now. I am bringing them up as my own. They are part of our family now.

One brother has a health issue and needs an injection every month. Sometimes he resists. I am the one who meets the doctor and makes sure he takes his injection every month. I have been doing that for twenty years, every single month now.

Me: Does anybody know you have taken on all these responsibilities and how much you do.

Akhtar: Who will know madam. I feel I should do what I can, and I keep doing it.

Me: How does your wife react to all this

Akhtar: My wife never objects. She is very understanding and co-operative.

Me: What's on top of your mind now

Akhtar: Life has been a real struggle. It is always about how will each month go by. I have had a lot of responsibility since a very young age.

I will relax only when all my children are settled.

This ended the question answer part of it.

On request, I'm putting neither his photograph, nor names of his wife or children (they have the prettiest of names :).  His thinking in terms of why no photograph or any identifiable information, was so deep and meaningful, that we spent yet another hour discussing just that, and I came away humbled by his reasoning.

It was indeed an intense two hours. And when he said will you talk to my daughters if they want to know about jobs and things, I gladly said yes.

Akhtar, it was really nice talking to you, and Inshallah, may all your aspirations for your children and for yourself, get fulfilled.

2 comments:

  1. I have a person like that in Mumbai. And that is where I see the difference. Mumbai is a great leveller. I dont know how Mr.Akhtar is treated but in Mumbai, they are treated like professionals. It will be like having an architect in your house for discussions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to note. I'm sure that's happening in Hyd too, atleast in pockets. But at many levels across the country we have a long way to go in absolute equality, there's segregation at too many levels, and I think it's that which Akhtar was referring to.
    But yeah, good to have a hopeful and positive outlook and maybe even more, to influence where we can.

    ReplyDelete