Saturday, May 20, 2017

Reading Newspapers Is A Drag - A Reiteration

Since I've been in Hyderabad, ever so often I'm at my parents place. Invariably, I pick up the newspaper and browse through. Almost like an instinctual thing. Or maybe hopeful thing. I don't know which.

And each time, I've found I close it in disgust. And yesterday I patted myself on the back for the decision to have kicked the habit, (it's been over two years since I've stopped subscription). It was no easy process, mornings starting with coffee and the newspaper was such an ingrained habit.

I'd say 'negativity trumps positivity' lives it's epitome in Newspapers.  Crime, Terrorism, Rape, Cheating, Politics, Death, Suicides, Accidents, Teacher crimes against children. You have to search to find a piece of positive or empowering news. And by the time you get there (if you do), the negative stuff has already seeped in. 

We're human, empathy comes naturally to us. We can't read about a child being molested or a farmer suicide without feeling angry or hurt or sad.

And seriously, what good is that doing. I've been accused of being an ostrich and shying away from reality. Is that our Reality? Really? Something so imbalanced?

Guess if you chose it to become your reality, it does. It's definitely crept into our houses and our systems. Considering how connected the world is, by reading and feeling, if anything we are adding more than our share of sadness and negative energy to it. 

A Harvard Review states :

''We’ve known for some time now that hearing negative news broadcasts can have an immediate effect on your stress level, but new research we just conducted in partnership with Huffington shows how significant these negative effects can be on us.

Just a few minutes spent consuming negative news in the morning can affect the entire emotional trajectory of your day"

We have the choice. Why do we let newspapers and reporters hijack our space.  Can we respect our own time, ourselves a little more. Put in that little effort to instead find and read  articles, and magazines and books (maybe blogs ;)  of interest to you.  And trust me, you miss nothing; news you need will find it's way to you.

Ask yourself .... Are you happy playing a passive role in your own life, can you do this for yourself.

If I'm coming across strong, no excuses.....it's because I feel that strongly about it :)

Reading what's relevant and interesting to you enables clearer thoughts, more valuable insights and better decision making.  And each of those means a more enriched life.

2 comments:

  1. So true! I keep wishing there was some way to know what is happening without the negativity. I read the business papers that seem to do a better job at being objective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one for your favorite concept of balance I guess :) :)

    ReplyDelete