Thursday, May 18, 2017

Life Happens, Or We Make It Happen

Life happens. Or we make it happen. At times it takes a stepping back to see which. And maybe to choose too.

I'll talk of this in the context of my moving to Hyderabad and wanting to set up counselling practice. I'd thought of so many ways to do it, all kinds of possibilities. Rent a place for a private center, associate with a hospital,  do it part time in clinics, freelance with organizations........so many ideas. The one thing that was certain was the'wanting it to happen'.

Once here, I find that the best possible solution was, so to say, right in my backyard.

The house I rent in Hyd came with a room on the ground floor. A neglected junk room. And that's where Diksha and I saw potential. And we started to work on it. And slowly but surely, it transformed.

Diksha volunteered to do the painting herself. Off we went to buy brushes, and rollers and paint and polish, stuff I knew nothing about (she did)


It was hard work, summer was at peak, room was dirty.....a rickety stool which looked like it could topple, polish which wouldn't go off the body, water seepage, all kinds of issues. She didn't let anything stop her.

This one day I had to scrub her with the dish washing scrub and soap until she burnt, we had nothing else to get the door paint off.


One day of that week, she got a friend to lend a hand.


This was the flooring getting done, as it had this incomplete and patchy cement floor. We did so much discussion on options......tiling, carpeting, red oxide. This is just to say how at every point it's about choice.

Not to miss him talking on the phone as he works :)


Mom gave me two nice old antique looking teak chairs. So they needed to get varnished. Then, between Diksha and me, we shifted stuff from the house.

I overheard Diksha tell her grandmom "amma's looking at everything in the house as possible to shift to therapy room, when she was looking at our paintings I said an absolute no" :)

Now the room looks like this. It's a nice cozy therapy room and I've done my first few sessions too. 


Thanks Deech, for the painting and the polishing..... the ideation and the encouragement..... and above all for being there with me through the whole process.  Means much.

2 comments:

  1. It is so heart warming to see a demonstration of support and conviction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and thanks for the reiteration too :)

    ReplyDelete