Thursday, May 16, 2019

Indian authors to Indian movies

As anybody around my age would know, we grew up reading Enid Blytons, Nancy Drews, Hardy Boys......graduated to Sidney Sheldon, James Hardley Chase, Harold Robbins.......and then on to Alistair Maclean, Wilbur Smith, Jeffery Archer........Paulo Coelho, Ayn Rand, Richard Bach....and so the story went.


Around ten years back is when I started reading Amitav Ghosh, Jhumpa Lahari, Vikram Seth, Chitra Banarjee Divakaruni, Manu Joseph, Shashi Deshpande, Jaishree Mishra, Harimohan Paruvu, Namita Gokhle, Amish Tripati.......and somewhere along I've realized I now go pretty much only to the Indian author section of book shops.

Now, I'm seeing this happen with cinema too.

After years and years of American and British cinema, with some global cinema and ofcourse some bollywood, there is now such a brilliant choice of Indian Indie cinema on Netflix and Amazon, that my default pick is Indian Cinema..... across languages.

I was talking to Dhruva about it yesterday, and he said " It's not surprising....it's what you can relate to more naturally no amma".

So true.

I love that it's now not just about liking travel within the country more, reading Indian authors more but that I can also indulge my cinema need with great quality desi stuff.

Was a wonderful realization for self ...and loving the knowing :)

2 comments:

  1. I can't agree more " t's not surprising....it's what you can relate to more naturally no amma".

    I am glued to Indian authors for this very reason :-)

    btw, speaking of reading/watching relatable stuff, I recommend ''The slow interview with Neelesh Misra" on YouTube. Also, Neelesh Misra is the Hindi author & storyteller whose book I picked when we were in Jaipur for Lit fest :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god, just to see you here feels so good. And to top that, you add in our trip to the Jaipur Lit Fest.....it's bringing in so much nostalgia and love...feels wonderful.
    And thanks for that recommendation, will surely watch :)

    ReplyDelete