Saturday, May 11, 2019

A story of my AC

Actual title ought to be

'the story of my AC, some bad decision making and a stroke of good luck'

The AC went kaput, it kept tripping the power. After a week of chasing I got an AC mechanic to come take a look. He came, did some intense checking; I call it intense because just seeing him standing on the window sill with the outside unit, in the hot afternoon sun, music playing on his phone, got me nervous.

He got back down and proclaimed "madam, the compressor is gone, it would cost 15 k, and the AC is old, so best to a new AC"

Seemed simple enough, I was happy I atleast knew what needed to be done.

Yesterday Diksha and I went to buy, and I was in for a shock when I saw that the AC I wanted (same specs as the one I have) cost 72 K. I wasn't prepared for that. No instant buying at those rates. 

On the way out of the store, I saw these nice looking coolers.....a good sales guy, and within ten minutes I had bought a cooler, for 10K. 

I didn't want a cooler. I didn't like the idea of a cooler sitting in the middle of my drawing room, the effort of filling in water everyday, and definitely not a cable running across the room. But all this slowly came to mind as we were driving back home and I'm telling Diksha about all my second thoughts and saying "I think I made a wrong decision".

As I tell her, she says "maybe you shouldn't get it.... should I turn back ma, tell quickly before the signal changes". 

Back we went and cancelled the purchase.

The thinking went  "what happened to getting a second opinion.. what if that AC guy was wrong... instead of 10 K on a cooler, why not 15 on a new compressor". 

Called LG customer care, and within six hours Walid was at home checking the AC......said the capacitor had burnt out, and it would cost Rs. 850.


And that's what it was. Just Rs.850, and it's working brilliantly now.

Walid came as my angel in need.

A bigger take away.....it's not just for our health issues that we need second opinions, it's for anything that goes wrong. Decisions can go wrong, the repair guys ......as well as ours.

Space for thought matters..... perspectives matter.....second opinions matter.  Lesson for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment