Tuesday, June 4, 2019

The story of how I'm back to (formal) work

Strangely enough this seems the story of my life.........that I take a five year sabbatical, and then some serendipitous event lands me in a dream job.

My first such was Google. I'd quit IDBI and pretty much dropped off the radar. Yet, in that phase happened so much interesting stuff; serious full fledged farming, three years of carnatic sangeetham, salsa, vipassana, baking, bharathanatyam ......... and biggest of all, Smile Foundation. (I've left out all the sordid and difficult stuff.....after all to stay home after sixteen years of work doesn't come easy).

Then happened Google. A simply amazing seven years. 

For this I have to thank Girija, wholely.....trying Google was her idea.

And if that wasn't amazing enough, it led me to SELCO......guess I just have to use a bigger amazing there.

The trade off was money. A conscious choice.

I took a 70% cut in salary for that job, a decision many found plain stupid. Yet what it gave me in return beats that 70% salary cut by miles and miles.

Three years at SELCO, and I quit, thought I'd said final goodbye to formal work. Pursued some other interests. Did a one month intense program in Hypnotherapy, then a one year program in Counselling, both out of a seemingly random interest..... each life changing. And little knowing that some distant dots were connecting, never dreaming that I would start private practice (touch wood that's picking up real nice), and that it would soon evolve into a full fledged wonderful new career of it's own. 

Now landing me at Cognizant.

If that sounds like a roller coaster ride, guess it's been one..... as exciting... as scary......as thrilling....... as risky.....the makes. But pssssst.....I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.


To now come to the actual story of how this came about; it's almost providential.

A mail regarding this job came into my inbox about a couple months ago; I skimmed through it and gave it a go by. At that point I was so involved with Diksha's visa process that I had thinking time for nothing else.

On the last date of the offer, as though by magic, the mail gets sent to me separately again. This time I looked. And the "part time - four hours a day for three days a week" made me sit up.

It came at a time when I was sitting with this awareness that Diksha and Dhruva would soon be leaving the country, almost within a month of each other. 

While I believed I was prepared for that shift in life, I was equally aware of the mental vacuum it would leave in it's wake. Here was an opportunity.... a nice one....one to close the possibility of careening into a depression, atleast a potential one.

I picked up the phone and called, asking if the position was still open. They said 'send your resume'. Quickly made one and sent it. 

It's a tech company....they wrote back saying they wanted a photo resume. I wasn't even sure what that was. Googled to find that it was more complex than just adding in a picture. (Kiran and Pranab, thanks for your timely tech intervention there, couldn't have done it without your help).

Photo resume sent, emails exchanged, interview done, all in two days.......and I had the job !!

Now you understand why serendipitously, and why it feels like "back again.....like a long lost friend" 

Yesterday was Day 1 of the job....loved the energy of the place, and as close to an urban adventure as it gets.....maybe enough to write another post :)

2 comments:

  1. Congrats.thanks for the mention.Now, another tech giant.But a different job profile. I recollect you had to pass a typing test at Goggle before formally being assigned your job. This job, you will be typing out solutions for the emotional issues of those coming to you.
    A journey that's like a flight to the infite space. Have fun......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girija.....and again for Google. Honestly, I would not have had the audacity to apply to Google if you hadn't insisted that day....and Google I'd say was almost like the runway for this 'journey like a flight....' as you so beautifully put it :)

    ReplyDelete