Saturday, June 1, 2019

A perspective on money

An anecdote from my recent travels:

This was on my way to Goa. For some reason, I didn't take a book from home, so needed to buy one at the airport. The security queue that morning was so long that I had like just a five minute window in the book shop.

That's such a challenge, as what I like as much as the buying and the reading, is the browsing before :)


Anyways, running against time my eyes fell on a new book of Paulo Coelho's... thought that was a safe bet. Walking to the billing counter I also picked up a Neelesh Misra, as he had been recently recommended.

Paying at the counter come in the after thoughts.

why am I doing this ? why am I spending 600? shouldn't I be buying just one? maybe buy the other on Amazon later ? 

Nagging thoughts I pushed aside, and bought both.

Fast forward half hour. Flight boarded, nicely ensconced in my seat, book in hand......I ask for coffee and sandwiches. It's when I was paying the sweet air hostess the 400, that the thought comes back..... in different form:

"how is it that I'm so okay with paying 400 for a coffee and breakfast I don't even need, and actually had thoughts about paying 600 for books I'll read ..........crazy, crazy, crazy !!"

There's a little clarity, not just for now but with a lesson for later too.

A way to break through conditioning when it comes to money......'think relative', and it helps clarify that thinking process :)

No comments:

Post a Comment