Sunday, June 30, 2019

An interesting shift

One single sentence, but if you're listening, like really listening, it can make for big shifts.

One such experience from a few months back:

While not often, over a certain threshold of stress I have a tendency to take mokkus (vows). 

It came up for discussion. Dhruva observed "you are not religious amma, you don't even have a pooja room, you don't really believe, so what's this about the mokku?"

And that's when I was pushed to think it through. I was like "it has nothing to do with god....it's times when I'm stretched beyond my handleable limits, there's external dependency, stress levels are crazy high..........  I could do with some additional energy .... and then I'll ask the universe for that extra energy.......the mokku is my way. Just strengthens my ability to deal with that situation".

Don't know how Dhruva understood that, but I was more at peace with my mokku process after that bit of articulation. Thanks for observing aloud dhruva :)

The easiest for me has been giving up eating meat, all forms of meat for a specific period, maybe an year or two. (easy as in, not to do, but easiest to come to mind). 

At some point Diksha was like "why does your mokku have to be about giving up something you like........why not say you will do something that you want to do, but haven't been able to"

I listened.

And it was game changing for me. There's a certain meditative practice I've been wanting to do since a long time....just didn't get there........and now I have. And I even write about it now, because it's become part of daily life, at a conscious competency level. What a wonderful shift.

Thanks deech. Literally and metaphorically life changing.

And the deeper takeaway: Sure pays to have an open stance.

No comments:

Post a Comment