Saturday, August 19, 2017

A Delta Experience

This was a complete and unexpected bonus on this trip to Konark.

I have a fondness, bordering on a fetish, for deltas. The area where a river joins the sea. And I've mostly got to see this only from the air. The third morning, our misc morning, we're again up early with no itinerary whatsoever, and on the spur decided to do a walk on the beach.  We'd not planned on this for the simple reason that the beach had looked too crowded and messy the two days we'd seen it. And it's a pretty short stretch of beach.

So we walked to the beach and started walking right (left is the busier and more touristy part of the beach), and as we walked, there were fewer and fewer people around...and a little more than half hour of walking I think and out of nowhere we come upon an actual delta, a distinct river joining the sea. I could have whooped for joy, in fact I think I did. It was an absolute omg moment for me.

That's river Bhargavi


This is the point where it enters the sea


There were a couple of fishermen fishing. You can see the river behind before it spreads itself thin at the delta. Shallow enough to walk into.


The delta area and Surekha walking through too


A beautiful shot if I can say so myself, as the camera caught him as he threw his net into the water.


Two more fishermen, Shamsunder and Gopal with who we got chatting  


They were sportive enough to smile for a picture


Don't know what I was doing with that stick, but I was finding something funny for sure


Surekha walked up to see their catch....I stayed with my stick 


A beautiful driftwood that had washed ashore....it had so much coral growing on it


A selfie at the delta to sign off a simply wonderful morning. Made that third extra day already so worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment