Thursday, August 3, 2017

A 10 Year Old's Salesmanship

More from this visit to Bangalore. I stayed a day at Girija's and there's two experiences from there that are surely for penning down.

I use something called a banana clip to hold up my hair, which I haven't been able to find in Hyd. So that was on my to do list. I wasn't taking chances, so first evening itself I asked Girija if we could go look in her colony. She took me to this store which she said was also 'manned' by this cute little girl of ten.


She wasn't there when we walked in. I asked her father and he showed me something similar but not really what I wanted. Meanwhile Girija managed to find her. Anjali, all of 10. She took over from her father the moment she came in. Soon as I described what I wanted, she knew exactly what it was. And she went a step ahead, took out another size and said that might suit me better. And she was spot on.

When she figured I might buy many, she quickly came up with a bulk discount, different for different sizes, complex calculations, and did them all herself...at first she tried orally, and then she took a pen and paper and did all the multiplications and additions herself. 

By then I was so taken in, I added in rubberbands and bindis. Bindis in maroons and blacks, differing sizes, and she was so intuitive and enthusiastic, she made it an amazing experience.

I'm sure I bought myself an years supply :)

Seeing Anjali close that sale, seeing Celine Tam sing 'My heart will go on', it's like you're dealing with a whole new level of smartness and skill. 

5 comments:

  1. I just adore this little lady. She was playing when I demanded her mother to call her. She just ran into the shop waited patiently to finish the sale. Then she asked her mother very politely"mummy, main jaavu ". I pulled her aside and asked her what kinda of shop she will run when she grows up. Pat came the reply. No shop. Will study to be a doctor. But will help daddy with shop. Lucky parents and lucky customers.
    Yes, the tommorow world is so very exciting with such talents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice....in fact I overheard that later conversation, and saw how much she thought before answering....so, lovely to see you open out that thought there :)

      Delete
  2. So amazing! What I love is the new world of media (internet included) that is bridging information gap and giving opportunities and fuelling dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sp totally agree ! Especially so when most media seems busy bashing up smart phones and hardly anyone speaking for how empowering they are.

      Delete