Thursday, July 11, 2019

Last of the overdoses

These pictures startled me.

Especially when I saw just how young she was when we both started doing our road trips together, and I was like "jeez deech, I didn't think you were so little then, what was I even thinking", and she's like "what, no ma......I was eighteen and driving....and you're so naive at times.....I was old enough to have your back too you know".

And I must agree, there is a sensitivity, maturity and courage you have that seem way beyond your age. Michael uncle put it best; when he asked how old you were and I said twenty one, he was like "she's a twenty one going on thirty two" :)

I recall this time when you'd been to Bangalore and chilled one long evening with Swaroop anna, and he was like "gosh, talking to her is as easy as it is talking to you".

I know exactly what he means because I see it in so many ways.....how your friends pick you to be the girl to turn to in a crisis, how you'll stretch like crazy at times, and draw clear lines at other times, how it's so easy to open up to you.... how your perspective will come intelligent, clear and no nonsense, yet sensitive to situation......your astuteness, your empathy and your ability to connect are exceptional.

May all of this continue to thrive and grow with you....and keep you the beautiful person that you are.

To go back to pictures, this round capturing moments from more recent times

our first selfie, guessing around eighteen 


Our first road trip....to Bidar. This trip literally opened that door, and made road trips a 'thing' with us.


at Auroville, Pondicherry


When you came to drop me off at the station, on my train ride to Delhi


Our road trip to Coorg....and when you christened 'nandi', and he (she) became an integral part of our road trips.


At Cochin


Our bigger road trip......Coonoor....the one in which we broke through further conditioning. Not only was the drive our most challenging........even this place, Sans Souci, up in the hills was just us, no other occupants, and not even a watchman at night. Amazes even me :)


Another diwali








At Jodhpur....the Umaid Bhavan Palace in the background


Back in Hyd....Taramati Baradari...attended a Sufi concert


From our more recent trip to Hawaii


At LA , and I just realized I never completed my writings on that trip, didn't even start on LA ....maybe will one day


Some more selfies


This is one of my favourites

(didn't title overdose for nothing :)

Our tattoos...I love that we both got this same tattoo .....I recall the tattoo artist saying "your daughter has a stronger will and higher threshold of pain than you do".

You do deech.....someone had once said "she's quite the handful...if you were trouble for your parents, be prepared for 10X from her" ....they forgot that even the positive and beautiful becomes 10X.


Owe thanks to anna for this stunningly beautiful picture.....near  Jaisalmer, in the desert


Deech......full tacky cheesy line......pray that sun never sets on us.

That said....this is a beautiful turning point. Going off to do your dream course. One you've spoken off since you were in the eighth class. And to a country that respects and loves it's wild life...that's given us the Steve Irwins of the world.

Must narrate this. The other day this came up in conversation with a client, and he's like "lovely, that's an important course she's picked". And I'm like "that's an interesting word you choose, I've heard 'interesting, unusual, offbeat, rare'.....but never important". And he's like "ofcourse it is, in fact I think everyone in the world should be doing it now ":)

Loads and loads of best wishes and positive energy being sent your way for this endeavor of yours deech.

And even more .........enjoy the Down Under !!!!

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck and happy times in College, Perth and Down Under to you,Diksha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girija, thanks a ton...for being there through it all !

    ReplyDelete