Monday, July 22, 2019

Day 3 at Perth

This was pretty much my day out.

I took a bus and generally strolled around town all morning.  Diksha had sessions, and she met me after at the station. We had our list for the day, opening a bank account on top of the list. Process is that you open online and then take those details to the bank. She'd done the online opening, and we needed the print out.

We had no idea where one did that.

Right at the station was an office with a glass counter, so I decided to ask. Short conversation in, they consulted within and said there was a printing place five blocks away.

Without my even realizing it, I was like "oh god, इतना दूर चलना पड़ेगा प्रिंट आउट केलिए ?". He was in a turban, evidently Indian. (Diksha thought it was presumptuous of me to shift to hindi, but it just happened)

Something shifted through that sentence though. Navjotsingh said "yes, it's far.....alternative is, you could mail me what you want".

I was like "really ? really?? you'll do that? ..... I'll mail you and you'll print it for me?".

He not just printed it, he allowed Diksha in (as she needed to sign into her portal) even as he said "this is actually not allowed, I'm making exception for you"

It was such a lovely gesture. Why would I not be going on about people being nice, right?

Done with the print out, we finished with the bank, got her a new local sim card, and feeling very productive, headed back to campus as Diksha had another session.  It was 3 pm and I had been on my feet since morning, and wanted to chill.

Diksha says "okay ....so I'm letting you loose in my room ma" :)

And o..m..g, I saw what she meant ....I could barely find space to put foot on the floor.

She comes back in a couple of hours and says "gosh, what a mom thing to do.....I should have done a before and after picture" 

That evening I also got to stroll around campus a little. Here's pictures:








they have some amazing looking birds on campus, this one's a galah cuckatoo


a closer picture (took from google just to get a clearer pic in here :)





they have a really fancy entrance, like Krittika said "it looks out of game of thrones"


I had to pose


one of the cafeteria's on campus


diksha walking in the distance


entrance to the ECU village, their living quarters




 view from diksha's room, she has a lovely huge glass window.


What's also interesting is everywhere we went people were like "aah, wild life conservation...that's unusual" "we've never had an international student take that course" "are there job opportunities with that" "I never knew a course like that existed".

And that's when I get surprised at how Diksha chose the course when she was yet thirteen, and while life's taken her through differing and meandering experiences, she has found her way back there. Also, after starting research with Hawaii, getting admission into Canada, having finally chosen Australia seems such a right thing to have done.

They are so naturally tuned into nature and wild life.

Yesterday she sends me a msg saying "guess what ma.....I saw wild kangaroos!!!"

She'd walked to this park, and she sends me a picture of a couple of boards there reading 'If you're lucky you'll spot kangaroos' and  'Warning...Dugites and Tiger snakes, lethal and venomous".

How does one react...... what do you tell a person who has chosen a path into wild life conservation !!

No comments:

Post a Comment