Thursday, July 6, 2017

Beauty And The Beast

I was in a movie watching mood after real long, and I asked Diksha for recommendation.  She not only knows how picky I am, she also knows how that pickiness tunes. She suggested 'Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind'. When I said I wasn't in a thinking kind of frame, she said 'Beauty and the Beast', and what a pick that was. Just sit back and let the beauty of the movie enthrall.

Related image

I've seen the earlier animated version of the movie, one I loved watching,  Apparently the animated version was the first animated movie to ever be nominated for an Oscar. And I must say this one didn't disappoint. In fact I loved it even more.

And it's impossible to remove the songs from this movie. They're so intrinsic, so simply beautiful.

When they say timeless classic, you realize why. It's such a wonderful story of falling in love with 'being human'.  While the beast is a real surly and foul tempered beast in the beginning, and belle is scared  and horrified of it, you see how the shift happens. How she falls in love as layer by layer of the inner beauty is revealed, and how it gets revealed because there's the reason and the want to reveal.

I loved Dan Stevens green eyes, which even through the overt beastiness can't camouflage the kindness, especially as he looks down into Belles beauty and niceness, times when his voice goes gruff with ardour and tenderness. In that he becomes the beast you want to protect. 

Emma Watson as the naive but smart, confident and non conforming belle was perfect. I loved the scene where the beast in his shy attempt to woo her reveals his library, and she is literally spellbound. A personal penchant for bonding over reading I guess.

The talking pieces...the mantle clock, the candle stick, the tea cup, the wardrobe, the piano......brilliant voice overs.

A Walt Disney quote I read a long while back: 'I don't make movies to make money, but I need money to make movies'. I'm so glad they have the money to make these movies. Lovely stuff.

1 comment: