Tuesday, July 25, 2017

A Narrow Escape

As I sit down to write, I find myself fluctuating between anger at the 'callousness of our road authorities' and 'gratitude to my guardian angel'.


I'm driving home last night, and it's pretty late and I get stuck behind this religious procession on the road leading home. 

The chariot has these super bright multi colored radium lights, pretty much blinding me, the music is loud enough to be deafening, quite a crowd, and the men dancing in pretty inebriated condition too. I'm stuck for a good ten minutes, and then I find there's space enough on the right to drive through, and I tried. 

I suddenly see... hear (I don't even know which) these three guys gesture wildly and scream 'nahi madam'. God knows how I even heard over the din .......guess that's why 'guardian angel' :)

I then see this huge ditch, which must be easily two feet deep, and wide enough and long enough to fit a tyre. (I took the picture this morning).

Even backing up from there was so scary, my hands were visibly shaking, because part of the tyre was already on the pit sideways. Heart in mouth I did.

I can't imagine what might have happened if I'd driven even another second.

Well, a recall of experience and the gratitude has taken over :)

Also the resolve to do what it takes to get this to the authorities.

1 comment: