Sunday, September 1, 2019

The B & W Shelf

It's actually a shelf of black and white pictures....one shelf top in the house that's been such for years and years now. 

So many new pictures come into the house, even gifts of framed pictures.....and mom will find other spaces for them..... none can displace any from this series of five pictures....it's like sacrosanct space.


While I've always looked at it in passing, looks like staying four days made me look closer. It has so much depth....so many eras.....so many special moments....so many cherished memories.....and one a personally precious one too. So decided to capture this story here.

Right to Left: 

This must be over a hundred years old. Standing right is my grandfather, who I never met. Isn't he really handsome looking (gosh, only now realized where mom and kamlesh aunty get their stunning good looks from)


Standing left is Katari thatha, grandfather's brother, a man who achieved great heights. He was India's first Chief of Navy.

And more than that, what I used to be super impressed about even back then, was that he used to create Hindu's crossword. Create mind you, not do. He did it for years, and I would be so curious about how he went about it.....to me, at twelve, it seemed like the most intelligent thing a person could do. I was awed. I recall his stately writing desk, full up with pencils, erasers and dictionaries.

What a lovely picture.....Mom and Dad's wedding reception. 


Standing behind are his sisters and brother, Dev uncle, Revathi aunty and Padmini aunty (she was India's first woman pilot) .

And dad's mother, my leelavva, what a woman she was. There are a couple of stories that come to mind.

Soon after she was married, she was taken to Gandhiji for his blessings by her father. And when Gandhiji said he would like her to participate or contribute to the party in some way, she apparently took off all her jewellery, and gave it to him right then and there. A story that's become family legend.

Another, which I really like; She and Mohan uncle were driving from Mysore to Bangalore, when their car tyre had a puncture. Mohan uncle was all flustered and wondering what to do, and apparently avva just tucked in her saree and said "hand me the jack.......". 

No points for guessing. That's me making entry into the black and white shelf. Not to miss dad in tie and mom with flowers and all. Gosh, it does belong to the black and white era.


A lovely family picture......Dev uncle and Vijji aunty's wedding reception (me sitting at her feet :). And like a friend said "there are a lot of stunners in that picture, and your vijji aunty is looking like a heroine". True that !


My own prestigious precious moment. I've no idea why this is a black and white picture, but I'm pretty glad, puts me in a space of significance on this shelf :) 

Sitting center is me and standing center is Rajiv Gandhi :)


This was at a specially invited reception for gold medalists from all the central universities of the country with the then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.

In fact I remember when I saw the fancily gilded invitation in the post, I first thought it was a prank; it read, Ms. Smitha Mahendra....Shri Rajiv Gandhi would like the honour of meeting you.... duh duh duh....like I could register anything else after that sentence ...

Now you know why that shelf spoke so much....the oldest from hundred years back  .........two India's firsts.........picture with the Prime Minister.... stories and more stories.......definitely precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment