Friday, September 6, 2019

Stories that stay.....

Yet another anecdote from my stay at dad's.

We were at lunch, and the topic of one's ability to think for oneself came up.....what it takes to not conform, to not abide, to take a stand..... and it was my turn to tell him a story.

This is one story that has influenced me deeply.....and I was happy to be able to revisit. It's a story from Lao Tzu. 


Lao Tzu is a well known Chinese Philosopher, said to be from the times of Confucius. He is author of the 'Tao Te Ching', and this is a story from his life:

" The emperor of China asked Lao Tzu to become his chief of the supreme court, because the country had become very corrupt, and nobody could guide the country’s laws better than he could. 

Lao Tzu  said, “I am not the right man,” but the emperor was insistent.

Lao Tzu again said, “If you don’t listen to me… just one day in the court and you will be convinced that I am not the right man, because the system is wrong, I won't fit. Either I can exist or your law and order and your society can exist. But ok… let us try it.”

The first day a thief who had stolen almost a large amount from one of the richest man was brought into the court. Lao Tzu listened to the case and then he said that the thief would get six months in jail and the rich man should also get six months in jail. 

Everyone was naturally shocked.

The rich man said, “What are you saying? There is something wrong. I have been stolen from, I have been robbed — what kind of justice is this, that you are sending me to jail ?”

Lao Tzu said, “I am infact being unfair to the thief. Your need to be in jail is greater, because you have collected so much money for yourself, deprived so many people of money… thousands of people are downtrodden and you are collecting more money. For what? Your very greed is creating these thieves. You are responsible.

The first crime is yours.

How radically different are we capable of, be it thinking, being, doing..... in whatever sphere of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment