Friday, September 20, 2019

A Curious 'On The Road' Episode

So curious, that I was even wondering what I could title it.

This happened as I was driving to Cognizant, busy part of city, heavy traffic, fully focused on driving and radio mirchi. 

At a u-turn point some auto guy suddenly turned almost onto my car from the right, and I had to swerve a little to the left. Soon as I did, I saw this guy to my left give me a dirty look. While it was no fault of mine that I had swerved, I could also see why he'd be annoyed. 

I caught up with him a few minutes later, edged towards him, rolled down my glass and said 'sorry'. And in return I got this brilliant flash of a smile. Such a wide genuine nice smile that I was like 'omg, who smiles like that at a stranger'. And to be able to see it despite a helmet.

Anyways, with a nice warm feeling in my heart for having received a smile like that, I drove on.

About ten minutes later, at a junction, he turned left. Funny thing is, he was about two hundred yards in, and I was driving ahead, and for some reason I turned to see (impact of that warm smile I guess) and at that same moment he turned and looked, almost loosing his balance. I waved, and he waved back. It just happened. 

And we went our ways, him left and me straight.........or so I thought.

Fifteen minutes later imagine my amazement when I find him behind me again. I couldn't figure it out. I just drove on as I didn't know what to make of it. 

A little later I take a left, and sure enough he did too. 

At this point I knew this was getting weird, and trust me there was zero creepy there, you could feel the honesty. Just didn't understand it.  

I pulled over. 

He pulled over next to my door. I rolled down my glass. It was like a magical moment, a moment when one ought to have said 'this is so interesting, want to catch a coffee?'. But we didn't. In fact I didn't, he tried. I blew it...so we both mumbled jumbled something and left.

It's only in retrospect that I'm able to capture the connect that was felt. A spontaneous and compelling one. And if nothing, it gave us a beautiful moment... captured here forever.

1 comment:

  1. Conditioning. I guess. The fact that you recognised a connect but did not further it. A hesitation bought on by all kind of exposure. Parents warning don't talk to strangers, friends narrating horrific stories of being harassed by strangers, media reporting of terrible stalking. Hmmm you had beautiful moment there. Destined, will happen again then don't mumble,jumble.🌹

    ReplyDelete