Friday, September 27, 2019

'Heaviest rain in a hundred years'

Yesterdays rain, day before actually,  is said to have been the heaviest for September in a 100 years.Wow !

This completely justifies and validates taking almost three hours to get home.....something after hundred years is momentous enough, how can it not touch your life right? 

What fascinated me through those three hours is the GPS. It competed with 'Radio Mirchi and Shadab'. Shadab was so brilliant that evening. He was like  "भारिश और ट्रैफिक में थो फसे हो , उसका कुछ नहीं कर सकता , पर अच्छे अच्छे गाने जरूर सुनासक्ता  हूँ " (rain and traffic I can't do anything about, but I can surely play you great music) 

And he so did. In fact, if I've been thinking I need to make my own CD (my car's ten years old so no aux port and stuff :), this evening I almost felt I needn't. Radio was that good.

Now for the GPS story:

I got off work at 6, and as I reached the parking is when I heard the thunder, and immediately felt that zing in the body, the excitement of driving through rain see :)

When I left work, it said '42 minutes to home, and ETA of 6.50 pm'

Rest of drive, GPS fascinated me.....  it just seemed so alert and alive. 

At 6 it said 42 minutes

An hour later, at 7 it said 58 minutes

At 7.30 it had shifted further up.... to 1 hour.  And how sweetly she'll say "this road looks closed, shall I devert?" "this road looks clogged, would you like to take an alternative route?". She was being great company...and then my battery died :(



Another wonderful thing I observed.....the traffic police.

Every junction they were there... in the pouring rain.... in raincoats.... at places standing in the middle of knee deep water.... yet controlling the traffic. So heartening to see. It's thanks to them we were continuously moving, never a full gridlock jam......just at that literal snails pace. Can't imagine what it would have been like without them.

Huge kudos to the the Hyderabad traffic police !!!

At close to 9, if I was dead tired when I reached home, it was just for having my feet constantly on the clutch, just that little bit release- hold-release-hold through the three hours....... but otherwise yet another fascinating drive.... with the rain and Shadab and GPS and the traffic police....it just so so was  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment