Sunday, August 21, 2016

The Hula Hoop Lessons

The Hula Hoop has been a childhood fancy.....just this plain simple circular thingy, and the grace and fun of it.


I bought one....... to quickly realize, that simple looking can be pretty inversely proportional to the difficulty or skill of doing. Try as I might, I couldn't make it stay on my waist. And I'd watch Diksha do it, with such apparent ease and grace, that I'd get so envious at how it seemed to just respond to her bidding, and never mine.

Then the added embarrassment of Diksha smilingly saying, ma, slower....don't move so much.........gently.......and I just tried harder and harder and failed more miserably. 

And it so tantalizingly hung on the wall for months, that one fine day, I decided to put the twenty hour theory to the test. It seemed impossible at first, and not to speak of how foolish you feel when it just keeps dropping off with that most annoying and prolonged clanging onto the floor .....and every few seconds at that. But then all I saw was the twenty hours in my mind, and nothing else...I decided I was going to do it, or die trying kinds (exaggerating to make a point :)...... and guess what....It Worked.

And it taught me more lessons than one.

The obvious one being that the twenty hour theory works, and the second one, and the more profound one being that......  it's not about trying hard, as much as about trying right.

No comments:

Post a Comment