Sunday, August 11, 2019

Safarnama - Raghu with Lucky Ali !!

What stood out for me is Raghu's complete connect with the stage.... his flow, his energy, his guitar, his sheer joy as he played.....just made the evening so so worthwhile.

Worthwhile, as what I saw was not just this young man on stage, but almost a whole journey. The boy who had casually picked up a broken guitar at eighteen.....fallen in love with it......his commitment.....the years he has faced all kinds of obstacles and difficulties to stay on the path....and to see him today on stage, playing with Lucky Ali........it's all of that...all of that which brought the tear to the eye.....that's creates the worthwhile.

And of course Lucky Ali himself....seeing the charismatic Lucky Ali in person. He was in full flow....his long grey hair, his casual attire, his old songs. Dreamy stuff. I've always loved his simple ballad style music and while the originals were distinctly melodious and soulful.....this was high energy version. The ones you can't help but sing along.....O Sanam, Ek pal ka jeena, Na tum jano na hum, Safarnama...so much fun.

While I had all ears and eyes focused on Raghu, the rest of the band was also excellent. The flutist was simply brilliant, and so were the drummer, the guitarist, the keyboard player, the violinist...and that made up the whole band. Sadly, don't know names, except for Bharat on the keyboard who also I know, as he's Raghu's friend from school :)

The massive and beautiful Shilpa Kala Vedika was almost packed to capacity, with an audience that was so enthusiastic, that it brought the whole auditorium alive. You let yourself go and you are enveloped by the aura of the evening, and after two hours of being in a whole different zone, you leave fully satiated and happy. I sure did.

Way back mom and I were talking about Raghu's journey, how that boy of eighteen accidentally picked up a guitar at his moms workplace....and to now see him here, on this stage, was nothing less than magical to me. 

Like I told him later....he created a really meaningful evening for me.

Congratulations Raghu !!

Some pictures from the evening:

Mom, almost in awe as we entered, admiring the backdrop of the hitech city building and the metro line running across 


The stage set as we entered


The show was on. Raghu on the far left in blue.


Well, looks like I stayed focused on Raghu, also in picture are the violinist and flutist


That's Raghu in center in silhouette


Raghu at the drummers, and thankfully I have one picture with Lucky Ali :)



I took permission and went close to stage for this picture


We couldn't stay till the end as it was getting late, so sadly rest of conversation with Raghu was on the phone, and no personal pictures with him or the band.

As we left


Me with nandi, with the beautiful Shilpa Kala Vedika in backdrop


A two minute clip of O Sanam, more to hear the audience participation


To think it almost didn't happen...  I had to postpone a confirmed visit to Bangalore just to be able to attend this evening....and I'm so very glad I did.

Congratulations again Raghu !!

6 comments:

  1. 🌷❣️♥️💜🙏you enabled this. His backup ,his supporter,his invisible mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girija, that's bit much, way too generous. But must say it brought out so much emotion.....joy, tears, validation, fulfillment...all from Raghu's metaphorical and literal safarnama.

    And needless to say, yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautifully written! Reminds me of the Delhi concert I went to.. I was in awe! Thanks for sharing your experience, smitha ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Madhumitha ! no pretenses, can't deny I've heard of you...a lot lot :)

    Wonderful to see you here, and glad it resonated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are an amazing writer. I'd love to read more. Also, I have heard about you way too much, too. Feeling is mutual :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, thanks Madhumitha....that sure made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete