Monday, February 4, 2019

When even nostalgia feels stretched

It does when it's from 38 years back !

It started with receiving these messages "hello stranger" "this feels unreal" "so, miss smitha mahendra......willing to catch up on 30 years of history?".

A few messages exchanged, identities confirmed....and he's like "get on a call baba, this feels surreal"......and that call went on over two hours.

So here's the bachpan ka love affair that was reminiscenced:

It was 1981. I was 17, actually we were both 17. He was this really sweet, crazily cute looking guy, in a college close to mine. His bus stop was on my way home, and each day he'd be sitting there across the road, waiting for his bus..... and each day we'd catch each others eye. This went on over a month. 

Until that one fated day, when I chose to cross the road to say " ankhon hi ankhon me bahuth hogaya....hi, I'm smitha".

It's no wonder today he said, "gosh, you had balls".

Back then a relationship meant, sitting in taj for hours at stretch and splitting a coffee by two (one never had more money than that),  and catching the occasional movie (pocket money day).......holding hands would be the big deal. Then again, he remembers me introducing him to my parents (I don't). Amazing thing is he seems to recall what my father looked like, but couldn't remember what I looked like. Can you believe that !?!

He only remembers me being this, hold your breath (cause I held mine)..... articulate, intelligent, bold, confident, put together girl, who didn't give a damn about anything.

That fairytale time went on a few months, and then he went off to London. Supposedly to visit his uncle, in fact to buy wrangler jeans he said.....and then never came back. No cell phone days, forget cellphone, neither of us even had a landline, and we didn't have each others address ......so that's how that story ended.

You can just about imagine how catching up now was like....so many quaint memories..... some remembered by both...many which only one of us remembered ....which made it even more fascinating....

as most of what we did was go 'omg... really... wow....crazy....nuts.... jeez ' :)

No comments:

Post a Comment