Thursday, July 7, 2016

Eid Mubaarak

I miss being in Hyderabad on Eid. So this afternoon, when I saw these little kids so specially dressed in new clothes for Eid, I couldn't help but go take a picture.


In fact two things that struck me through the experience. Firstly, I'm getting into the car and telling Dhruva 'look at those kids, they look so cute in their eid clothes', and he's like 'oh yeah, they do'. And then comes the after thought of, I should have taken a picture....... but by then I'd started the car and pulled out of the parking. And surprisingly, it's dhruva who says, 'so stop the car and go take it ma'. And it's that gentle and encouraging nudge that made me turn off the car and go get the picture. And I'm so glad, because it is giving me an opportunity to connect into Eid. 

And then, the kids themselves. I go and ask 'ek photo le sakthi hoon? khoob pyare lagrahe ho' and that boy actually took his time....he pauses.... (and I'm just waiting)......thinks for a bit...... and then says 'haan'. It was so wonderful to observe in those few split seconds, his gauging of the situation, his judgement of me, his conclusion on risk, and then giving me the go ahead. Such a responsible big brother. 

While I was missing the ritual of visiting friends..... the gale milna (teen baar, which I love doing), the salaam walekhums and walekhum salaams,  the sheerkhurma, the kebabs (I'm not a big fan of haleem, so that's not on the list), these little kids enabled a different but definite connect into Eid. Grateful....and Eid Mubaarak to them and to all others !

No comments:

Post a Comment