Friday, July 29, 2016

Chapter 2 Verse 47 - A Corollary

कर्मण्येवाधिकारस्ते मा फलेषु कदाचन।
मा कर्मफलहेतुर्भूर्मा ते सङ्गोऽस्त्वकर्मणि

Karmanye vadhikaraste Ma Phaleshu Kadachana,
Ma Karmaphalaheturbhurma Te Sangostvakarmani

While we understand the 'Detachment' aspect of this, does it mean we act without expectations?

Surely not. Why would we do anything at all without expectations? Why would we even want to do it? It has to be giving you something...... also, where would the enthusiasm and exuberance come from without the 'want' or the 'expectation'. 

If Arjuna lifts that bow and shoots, it's because he wants the arrow to hit the enemy, he expects it to hit the enemy. If I get into a cab, I want to go some place, I expect that the driver drive me safe to my destination. If I write in here, it's because I want you to read, because I expect that you read.

But what space do the 'want' or 'expectation' sit in? Do you own them, or do they own you ?

That I think is the defining question.

To be able to 'want' and 'expect'........have the energy and effort to do.....but the ability to take the happening or non happening of the occurrence in one's stride. Not let it take you over, or break you.

Guess that's also why it's so aspirational. 

No comments:

Post a Comment