Tuesday, July 12, 2016

A Rainbow Bonanza

When it rains.... it pours
A different kind of metaphorical....it poured rainbows this evening. And my parent's house gives a really open ended view of the eastern horizon, ( I realized I miss out on this, living on a ground floor with a limited sky view) giving us spectacular views of the rainbows.

The first one, early evening, was this clear low rainbow...well, I guess not as clear on the phone :(


And when I'm taking a picture of it, I got talking about double rainbows, and my mom was asking what that even was........ and within the hour she had seen her first :)


I'm trying to get this one to fit into one picture and she asks....'so why does a rainbow always appear in an arch'? And I'm like, 'let's please redirect this to dad'.....and that led to a super interesting discussion on rainbows ....starting from refractive index of colours, to how each ray needs to pass through so many little drops of water which act as prisms to split the light rays again and again and again, until it becomes visible to the human eye....... and finally to her question of how a rainbow is curved.....it's because of the sun's curvature. The 'knowing' as fascinating as the 'seeing'. 


I also learnt how to do panoramic shots on my phone for the very first time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment