Tuesday, August 18, 2015

How Much Do We Really See

It's been three weeks since my asthma thingy, and the heavy life saving medication that got me out of the spot.

Now, if the steroids saved my life, they also did a few other things ......... one among which was to give me a moon face, as it's called.

Now, the funny thing is that I didn't know. It took a visit to my cousins place and for him to tell me. That's a bit of a surprise. After all, I must look at my face in the mirror atleast a few times each day, and of course I care, and yet I missed it.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not cribbing.....I'm grateful to the steroids and all that, after all they saved my life. But what I want to bring out here is that, that is all I knew. What about the other stuff . ( Just noting the positive stuff is not necessarily a positive trait ).

If a visually visible impact can be missed so easily, what of those we can't see. We don't seem to see even what we can see ( yes, easier to do betty butcher bought some butter but the butter was bitter.....:).

What happens to the stuff that's impacting you within....  and especially if it's turning you into something you are intrinsically not.

It reminds me of the frog in the boiling water story. For those who might not have read:

                                       

If you put a frog into a kettle of boiling water, it will immediately leap out.

On the other hand, if you put a frog into a kettle of cold water and gradually heat the water, it just stays. It stays in even as the water gets hot...... even as the water gets very hot..... even when it starts to boil...... until is even dies. 

Its used as an illustration to show how survival instincts are geared to detect sudden changes, but the same risk fed gradually is not detected. 

This is a sure wake up call for me. Especially when I thought I was fairly aware....shows me there's a long way to go, and somewhere maybe that we have a tendency to get complacent. Well, if we don't want to, then let's be more aware.....let's learn to read those signs....stay tuned to the temperature of the water :)

No comments:

Post a Comment