Tuesday, August 25, 2015

How do we relate to our external circumstances

How much do external factors influence our inner well being?

No, it's not an obvious answer. Think about it. It's all about how much you LET it happen. Atleast, I'd say, that's the aspirational space to be.

                                                          Diksha, doing something inception style with the camera

This piece of gyan came to me first, the hard way, like twenty years back. I was working in IDBI Bangalore, and I wanted Leave to go to Hyd, and I go tell my boss. He looks at me and very casually says 'you seem to be always on leave'. You wouldn't believe impact. I got so upset, and so mad that I walked out of his room with not just high adrenaline but tears smarting my eyes.

That it may have been in jest, or casual, or the truth...all became irrelevant, I was hurt and angry and that's all that mattered.  Anyways, I walk out and pick up a random newspaper, and through those tears this small snippet caught my eye. Guess God put it there :)

It said, Íf you let others influence the way you feel, it means you are giving them control over your life'. And something just clicked. Manogaran controlling my life? No way. I wasn't going to be giving Manogaran any level of control over my life. Again ego I guess, but it worked; and poof....all anger and resentment was gone.

That worked brilliantly for Manogaran, and with it a lot of other facets, but it took me years and years and years before it worked for rest of life. And just when I thought I'd gotten to where I wanted to be, life gives you these jolts to show you you're still in process :)

But considering it's aspirational space and all that, let's see how it can be enabled, what does it take to be so grounded that the control vests within.

A loose form of Tamasik, Rajasik and Saatvik:
  • I let a lot of things rattle me......I function majorly through the ego or I easily move into victim space
  • I'm mostly at peace...... I've risen above most things, but there's an inner circle of influence that continues to impact me
  • I'm beyond it all, nothing touches me........Highest level of awareness and consciousness
We could identify where we are and where we'd like to be. Maybe use a scale of 0 to 10, with say buckets of 3, fit ourselves in and then set a goal. There are ways and means of moving up that scale, so many tools you can use. 10 can be the utopic space, so we'll leave that out for a while.

A key is to have these core principles that guide you, just have your own and bring them up when you're in a dilemma. Also awareness. There's this guy who wrote this book called 'The art of thinking clearly', in which he talks of errors of thinking, and he says when he has to make a decision, like a major decision, he actually runs through it like a checklist to make sure his thinking is not caught up in those errors.  Our mind is way more conditioned than we think, you know.

If one can center oneself enough to let that clarity come in, it could be an interesting road to take.

I'm going to try :)

1 comment:

  1. Where we are
    Where we want to be
    Where we need to be
    Where we will be
    Life's site map
    Designing the content
    Awareness, clarity,evolve,
    Road map for content journey.


    ReplyDelete