Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Ooty

Udhagamandalam, shortened to Ootacamund and Ooty, is a popular hill station in the Nilgiri Hills, a range at the edge of the western ghats.  Nilgiri Hills  means blue mountains, quite apparently because of the distinct blue haze of the mountains.


imho, the best part of going to Ooty is the journey....up the mountains and back. We did cab one way and train the other. The train was a first, in all the times I've been there, which is many, I've never done the train. The Mountain train...The Toy train it's called, it's a UNESCO heritage site, a hundred year old engineering marvel it is said to be. Dad and Mom, I'm so glad you inspired me to do it. In fact I'd say worth going just to experience the train ride.

The one day we were there, Dhruva and I chose to stay put at the Sterling Fern Hill Resort, giving the Ooty touristy circuit a go by, and just be, and enjoy the mountains from there.

Ooty is best expressed through pictures

A waterfall on the way up. As it was continuously raining on our way up, there were these little falls and streams everywhere. In fact I should say a thanks to Dhruva. When I said should we do this trip this month or next, he was like "now amma, it'll be nice in the monsoons"


A lovely chai stop in the rain


A pretty pic I thought, especially with the tree in detail in the foreground


This was view from our room


Entering Coonoor municipality....a candid pic of Dhruva's which I really liked


A sunset pic


Dusk from the room


A really pretty corner on the walk out of the room. Since we didn't do the botanical gardens, this is the extent of pics with flowers :)


That's the resort at dusk, as the lights just came on


Early next morning, enjoying some music and writing time, inspired by the mountains and the mood :)


As I sat there, I heard this young dad tell his little daughter ( all of 2, I think) "when someone asks you where you went for holiday, don't say ooty, say you went to the nilgiri mountains". Didn't get what his problem was. As cliched as he might think Ooty is, it's simply beautiful up in the mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment