Saturday, January 7, 2017

Musings

As a child I had this huge diary for noting down quotations which touched me. I had a nice collection, and I spent a good many hours with the book.


I guess they must have been inspiring ones, and hopefully over the years they seeped in at some level...,.......and hopefully some manifested in some form too

A little older, I had this online space ( it was earlier a book, and about ten years back I brought it online) called 'Random Stuff'

It has just that...stuff...anything and everything that caught my attention, from within or without.

A few years back that got retitled 'Musings'...and while still personal, I find that it has some interesting learnings...my aha moments, maybe not too well articulated, but it's still there in essence. 

A resolution this new year is to sieve through that, and see what from there can be put here, so here's one:

Let's Own Ourselves

Can we take more ownership of ourselves, own the whole of us...our thoughts, our feelings, our emotions, our actions.....

We're all so used to holding circumstance responsible... either a situation or role or a person or persons.

Pause for a moment and see how much of your happiness (or unhappiness) you are holding the outside responsible for.

The happy space is good space, let it be. Pick the not so happy space.

Let's ask ourselves...'what is it giving me'. Why am I putting up with that unhappy space?

Take an honest look at what shows up. It's giving us something right? Be it a trade off, or a fulfillment of ego, your sense of responsibility, your love, your security, your commitment, your need.....can be anything.

Let's take a couple of daily life examples:

A guy takes his wife shopping on a Sunday evening. He's hanging around outside the changing room, and in his mind are these nagging thoughts. I didn't want to come, What a pain, I hate shopping, I could have been watching cricket.....on and on. Really? Nobody held a gun to his head right. He took her shopping because he knows she'd like that, or that she'll be mad if he doesn't, or he feels he owes it to her..whatever. The choice was his.

I want to watch a dance program. Husband doesn't want to go. Daughter is busy. I want to go alone. Then the fear...Will they let me, what will my mother in law say, my husband might be mad, or worse, sulk....yet, the choice is mine. I stay.  I choose to not face the consequences, because it's less effort, easier for me.

It would be good to become aware and acknowledge that.

Awareness of why you are there....knowing it's what you at some level want, or need....it'll likely enable shift from a space of resentment to acceptance.

Just to know that we are where we are, out of our own choice.....it's Empowering

No comments:

Post a Comment