Saturday, January 14, 2017

Autobiography Of A Yogi, Leads

Anyone who knows me, knows that 'The Autobiography of a Yogi' means a lot to me. A book that's been a huge influence...one that's answered a lot of my very basic questions.

                                         Image result for autobiography of a yogi

My story with it started way way back.  I think in 1992, a friend gifted it to me, and I tried reading but didn't get through more than forty pages. That happened not once but thrice, each time I picked it up, I'd drop it at different stages. In fact I once read it all just to prove to him, or maybe myself, that I could, (lan, you even remember?) but honestly....it went pretty much over my head.

I finally cracked it (yes, I feel I cracked it :) about three years back, and have since read it multiple times.

That was context..back in the present....last week,  I was searching for a place to pick up a sandwich......I had been given directions, but I lost my way...like totally, and when I looked for coordinates, what should I find? That I'm on Paramahamsa Yogananda Road, (author of AY) a road which until then I didn't even know existed.

At that point it felt like the 9 ¾ platform out of Harry Potter.

And imagine my surprise when a couple days later I bump into this old friend, and we get talking about random stuff.......and she turns out to be one of the founding members of Ananda Sangha in Bangalore, the institute of Paramahamsa Yogananda. My antennae started to flutter.

I didn't even know what I wanted from it, I wasn't looking to do any more courses, nor yoga......but it felt like it was happening for a reason.

Well I called, and a quick chat with Anjali, who runs the place, and she's like.."aah, you've manifested what you wanted, we have just the thing for you in two days"   

I went..it was real close home and a two hour event, so didn't take too much thinking. It was a small group, varied and eclectic in background, but pretty niche in interest, almost like initiated and drawn by that one book.

In fact, just to be in a roomful of people who shared similar experiences with the book...... people who spoke of their experiences reading, difficulties finishing, people who've read multiple times, people to who it's a bible, people who talk of quantum mechanics and string theory and AY in the same breath. It in itself was quite an intriguing and fascinating experience. 

Even not knowing what they offered, I realized it had come as answer to a question I had in mind.

Ask and You Shall Receive 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting.. now the real crux, do we even know what to ask for??

    ReplyDelete