Sunday, January 22, 2017

Interviews Enable......

Having done two interviews of my dad, and one of my mum ( which is half way through), I've realized that interviews, especially personal level interviews, are a huge enabling experience. And that holds for the interviewee and the interviewer.

                                     Image result for questions
How?

Well, first off......Questions make you think. Some questions make you think more. And if they're about you, you think even more....because you're dipping into not just memory, but your entire self, because there's high chance you haven't really articulated those thoughts before.

To answer questions like...what is your concept of happiness, what are some of your core attributes, what do you like to see in your friends, what about you would you like to change, would you want to be born again....by their very nature they evoke a level of introspection.  

Then again there are your answers which won't necessarily align with your behavior....your own answers which will surprise you....so more thinking. Do I have misaligned beliefs about myself...am I too harsh on myself...maybe I am after all different from what I believe ( we do tend to be pretty punishing on ourselves at times...or maybe even delusional :)

If you're really honest and put yourself out there, there's a good chance you will let go of some regrets. Why? Why does it take another to enable that. Because we've buried it so deep that we haven't revisited. And it's only when we specifically think about what we might regret, that we even acknowledge it, and then share it, and then realize you've long been ready to let go. (or maybe just dust and rebury too)

Then there are the answers which clarify things to others around, where close others get perspective on some deep beliefs and  spaces that the person is coming from.

And I think biggest of all, they help you reconnect into your past, into memories, and your memories are after all a storehouse of what you are. They make you. Reconnecting, is akin to reliving, and reliving cherished spaces is an experience that's beautiful in itself. We're so externally tuned, that we do little of internal viewing....interviews enable that as well.

Looks like I can go on ......but even this much is reason enough to inspire me into more interviews. All set !

No comments:

Post a Comment