Monday, January 11, 2016

The Last Three Steps

If you've seen 'Walk', you'd need no further context.

For those who haven't: There's one time that Philippe falls during his learning days, and that's when his mentor, Papa Rudy tells him ....

"You haven't finished until you've actually reached".

Apparently even statistics ( on tight rope walking) show that the most accidents happen during the last three steps.

It's all about the mental strength and focus....... and when one is almost there, it's somehow more typical or rather commonplace to slacken on the focus. 

I just experienced that first hand. There was this course that I was really keen on doing in January.

I'd done my spade work, lots of research and gotten in touch with the organization way back in October. After that I was relentless in my follow up. Never lost sight of it, had emails going, regular phone calls going, everything I needed to.

And finally when the course announcement came last week, I thought I'd get back to Bangalore ( I was in Pune) and respond. Which I did. And I got back a regret mail, as they had it on first-come-first -serve basis, and it was already full up.

It turned things topsy turvy for me. I had my next two years plan hinged on this course, as it was also a qualifier for a long term course I want to take up.

I couldn't believe that it had gone wrong like this. I kept asking myself what I'd done wrong. 

Sure, I can blame a skewed process, a disorganized system, an arrogant director, and all of that........ but at my end, I knew I'd let off at the last three steps.

Huge Huge lesson there. 

In this case it still turned out a happy ending.....I persisted, until I was a pain....but more than that, lady luck favored me....but I'll never ever again forget. Last three steps.....

No comments:

Post a Comment