Saturday, January 2, 2016

Day Bus to Hyderabad

This was a full day bus ride from Bangalore to Hyd, 8 am to 8 pm. 

Why I write about it is more because, across the board, reactions were…. why would you do a day bus, didn’t you get night tickets, it’s so long, it’s so strenuous.........it’s such a waste of time. 

And in total contrast, when I get into the bus and settle down against this big glass window, I can’t contain the excitement of anticipation, a full day drive with nothing else but gazing out the window.

The pictures will show you what a pretty drive it was….but then every drive is as pretty, right?



Reactions in terms of long and strenuous I still get….but it’s the ‘waste of time’ bit that bothers me. 

It’s so backed by this default thought of ‘busyness equals productivity’. That you can just sit and stare...nope...doesn’t go down well.

It’s a hard to beat wonderful feel. This is just for those who might actually actually like it, but give into what passes as common sense. For long, I had succumbed. That’s what peer pressure can do. That’s what conditioning can do. Not just on decisions to take day buses….but in most other facets. 

Know what you want.....Seems the simplest thing in the world…..but the simplest are at times the most difficult to get.


Krishna or maybe one of its tributaries, near Kurnool


Mobeena, who I got to know on the bus....... a complete surprise package. She was this demure, soft spoken lady who spoke a couple of sentences, even which I had a tough time deciphering through the muffle of the burkha cover over her mouth......this, until I asked her to join me for lunch. 

She has started this bangle shop in tumkur and was coming to Hyderabad to buy the famous lac bangles of Chudi bazaar. She'd got into the bus, and then bought a ticket. So I was like...aap ko ladies seat nahi miltha tho kya karthe? And she smiles and says, 'nahi tho nahi, aana tho padtha', and I was so stumped, because I don't think I'd be as nonchalant about it. 

At lunch I asked her if I could take a picture. She asked me why I wanted one, and was then fine with it. I was so surprised.....I actually asked again, I'd just taken a shot in the dark, fully expecting her to say No. And yet another surprise..... she paid for my lunch, just wouldn't listen.

Through that lunch, I realized that here was a woman who thinks for herself. In itself rare, but to find it in this burkha clad lady was a learning to me......on the many biases and preset conditions we carry. Was so so so nice.  I did my most respectful khudahafeez to her.



The line of black rocks that runs across mountains that always fascinate me. They are the earths crust that came up through volcanic activity of millions of years ago.


It's always nice to see the cricket on in full action on these village cricket grounds.

Loved my Jan 1  :)

4 comments:

  1. The difference lies in perception .
    Mobeena would have been another passenger for many. But, if you can see beyond it,she is an interesting experience.

    Likewise,I was also one to ask you why spend a day travelling with time being short,but your take away from this waste of day makes it into a useful time.

    This can certainly provoke hearts into learning to do what is rational and what can be done for joy.

    The price is so inconsequential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share the same excitement taking a bus, to just sit and gaze outside. I was asked the same question while I traveled from Bangalore to Bombay and it was an 18 hour drive :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girija, thanks pal, nice to see this comment... always nice to be understood :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eunice...18 hours! lovely...and nice to see you back after so long:)

    ReplyDelete