Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Down nostalgia lane

A meet up with a friend and colleague from twenty years back.

When Aditi called and said "Hey, I've just landed in Hyd, I have one evening free, can we catch up?". While I had visitors at home, and a whole bunch of things lined up, I heard myself saying "yes, we definitely could".

And we did....... and what's more, at one of my favouritest places.....JNIDB


It was a journey down nostalgia lane, in more ways than one. One was recalling some amazing stories from working together as a team, one that broke records at work, all of twenty years back. It's rarely that you'll get paired with someone who will match you wavelength by wavelength, be it in thought, energy, innovation, process, commitment.....and we just had all of that going for us. 

I remember being called the 'live wire team'. While I moved out of IDBI a long while back, she's stayed and grown, rung by rung, and is now Chief General Manager. It made me just so proud to see her there, rubbing shoulders with the EDs and CGMs. So so deserved. 

While our six years together was in Bangalore, another connect we discovered we both had is with JNIDB itself.  She was involved with it's creation on paper at Head Office, while I was involved with it's creation and and starting process here in Hyderabad. And we both have an equally strong attachment with it . 

It could be that which inspired us to walk around the campus, in the quiet of the evening, catching up with so many stories. And her saying "if ever IDBI sells JNIDB, I will resign". That's a whole different level of identification...such an emotionally intense statement, that it endeared me to her enough to create a forever moment.

Apart from the work angle, I have another nice story. Inspired by the architecture (it's a Charles Correa creation), and the widespread grounds, I'd told the then CGM that it would be lovely to have geese walking around the campus, and he'd said " if you can bring them, I'll keep them".

A casual thought that got fulfilled. One Sunday, I went to Charminar, bought six geese and drove them in the back seat of my car all the way to JNIDB. It's so deeply touching to see that they still have geese, though the ED now was quick to tell me "these are new, they may not be the ones you bought" :)

The driveway in


We did a lot of walking around, and came in for some chai and pakodas in between


A quadrangle within, where we've spent many a night singing and talking into early hours of the morning


In the room, Aditi was sweet enough to pose for me


Another picture


The geese pen


This was an absolute coup. I googled JNIDB to see if I'd get some other pictures of it's architecture, and was so blown to find this picture, one of the very few group pictures there........one from 1991, and with me in it (third from left)

@Aditi, is that you in green, not sure as this would be years before I'd known you....but if yes, this would be a mind blowing coincidence


Aditi, it was so wonderful meeting and catching up, and to your caption in the picture you sent saying "thanks for coming, I will treasure these moments", an absolute ditto ......so glad I came, and will treasure those moments as much, and more.

3 comments:

  1. Looking at the photos and the post,feels as if it's still now and not then. The feel is so today. You two were the anchorgirls of resources team and queens of first floor where the dept was housed. Sweet memories that can keep you smiling for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Smitha. You are great. You made the evening a permanent sweet spot in our memories. :):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girija, that's such a lovely thing to say....thanks pal. And must add, JNIDB brought on a flood of memories of you too...all our walks and talks, and not forgetting that my Google job application happened there, fully initiated and motivated by you. Who would have thought that such an impulsive thought would result in a wonderful seven year stint at Google. Thanks for that all over again :)

    ReplyDelete