Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Another Second Hand Book Bazaar Visit

This visit to the book bazaar happened on a perfectly timed impulse.

Sunday morning, Swaroop and I are chatting up over our second cup of coffee. He's talking of Yuvah Noval Harari, and asking if I've read him, ....and says "you keep quoting Bill Bryson, if Bill Bryson does it casually and with humour, this guy does it seriously....you should definitely read him, start with 'Sapiens'....I think you'll love it". 

It suddenly occurred that this was a Sunday morning..... just perfect. Within a couple of hours, we were at Abids.

What completed the circle of perfectly timed was that I actually found a copy of the 'Sapiens' on that footpath, for a hundred bucks :)

Walking around, looking at book titles, known and not known, picking up random books, sharing experiences when paths cross......always an enriching and interesting experience.

In pictures:


Praveen picking up stuff


Swaroop, picking up stuff


Rafeez......I had to get him in picture. I ask if he has 'games people play', and he's like "Eric Berne ka madam? I was so blown 
  

I actually picked up a ten rupee book, a Victoria Holt who was one of my favourites during school


I'm saying "It's quite hot isn't it?" ....I'm fully ignored. And then Swaroop replies after like six minutes, so engrossed that it took that long for him to even register my question :). So off I went by myself for a bathai juice respite.


Two cute little kids who were quite happily waiting as their father browsed books


Swaroop and me


 This parking lot always amazes me, just to have such a massive empty site in the middle of abids.


Back home , Swaroop with his chilled beer, made more enjoyable after the visit. It looks like he's actually reading a synopsis on the floor :) 


Our haul for the day, Praveen's, Swaroops and Mine. Was fun to go through back home, as we each didn't know what the other had bought.


An interesting titbit...... Swaroop recalling that his first ever book was what I'd bought him in his 9th class.... 'The Other Side of Midnight' by Sidney Sheldon... and saying that's what had had set him off into reading. Felt so good, though beats me why I'd have anyone start with Sidney Sheldon, that too in school :)

No comments:

Post a Comment