Saturday, June 24, 2017

Musings - You never stop learning from your children

Yesterday was one such instance.

It's morning, I'm chatting around with Dhruva, actually oil massaging his head, a favorite favorite activity of mine, which I normally stretch to a good half hour (self indulgent trivia :). Krupa, our cook, peeps in, dressed in a nice crisply starched sari, to say she's going to the doctors. I was a little taken aback as I was going to be out for lunch and I'd presumed she was going to be taking care of arrangements for Dhruva.

Moms instinct I guess.......I asked her if she could possibly go in the afternoon, instead of now.

Dhruva says, in one quietly firm whisper 'let her go amma, it's my lunch, I'll figure'. And so I did. And she left.

Then he's like "that was pretty insensitive of you no amma, how could you even stop her". And in my defense I was like "I understand dhruva, I was only asking her to shift it to the afternoon".

And then I heard it:

"amma, if that were me, and I said I was unwell and wanted to go now, would you have done that"

If I thought I was a fair and sensitive person, it was yet a lesson in what equality and fairness meant. 

I was touched and humbled........and yes, deep down happy too.

Happy enough to narrate the whole sequence to Krupa today, and have them both give me a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment