Tuesday, June 20, 2017

A Search In Secret India

An honest and fascinating read.


Paul Brunton can be called an adventurer, a spiritual seeker, a mystic and a writer. One who gave up his career in England to become 'one of the twentieth century's greatest explorers and writers of the spiritual traditions of the East'. He seeks with a zest and focus that's exemplary, and absorbs with a sceptical (scientific) filter that brings out the honesty and cognitive appeal of his findings.

A Search in Secret India is his journey around India, living among yogis, mystics, and gurus, a search for that one authentic yogi. He writes of each experience on his search, some of whom he found convincing, some in part, others not at all. He writes of his search ending in Arunachala, which draws him again and again, and of the strange peace and tranquility which comes with self knowledge (enlightenment) when he meets and studies with the great sage Sri Ramana Maharishi.

This was in 1935 when Ramana Maharshi was not yet well known, not even in India, leave alone the world. In fact it is said that Paul Brunton is one of the first who brought out the spiritual and philosophical facet of India to the world. 

His elucidation of his experience with Ramana Maharshi can itself be a whole separate book, for the detail and sublimity with which he writes. He writes of how when he sat before him, all his painstakingly articulated questions would disappear, how he would be drawn into a meditative trance without effort, how he puzzled over how Ramana Maharshi was reading his thoughts. It's a fascinating account, especially given the context of his search across the length and breath of the country.

Also, my reading of the book has an interesting story.

A while back I met one of my uncles who I knew used to travel to Tiruvannamalai, to the Ramana Maharshi's ashram on regular basis. As I was asking him about it, he mentions this book saying I should read it. I determine to go buy it soon as I can, and imagine my surprise when I come home and find not one, but two copies of the book in my very own book shelf. It was like the book had sought me out much earlier, but I hadn't been ready. 

No comments:

Post a Comment