Friday, June 23, 2017

Chung Hua ...Pure Nostalgia

This afternoon Praveen (my brother who's visiting from the US) and I, were driving down Basheerbagh, and just being in those areas is half way down nostalgia lane, and on impulse we decided to lunch at Chung Hua.

                         Image result for chung hua hyderabad

Chung Hua was a complete college time hang out, Praveen with his bunch of friends (though he said they did as much or more of Alexis, another old student hangout), and me with mine, and never both of us together. This was a nice first.

And as though by habit, we ordered basket noodles ....1 by 2 (split in half). Such a student thing to do.


It's as is...nothings changed there, like absolutely nothing. The name board, the tables, the arrangements, the decor, the lamps, even the table mats.... literally like stepping back in time. I recall being so interested in the table mats as they were the chinese zodiac kind of thing. It was a sublime experience. 

When the waiter brought us the basket noodles, and had started to serve, I suddenly realized I wanted a picture. And because he so respectfully waited till I got the picture, I said by way of explanation "हम बचपन  में बहुत आते  थे यहां " (we used to come here a lot years ago). He just smiled.

Imagine what a lovely surprise it was when end of meal he gets us the bill and says ' "आप ने बोला ना की बचपन में आते थे , इसीलिए आपको हमने discount दिया " (because you said you used to come during college, I got you'll a discount)

                     
                          Praveen with the waiter

Was such a touching gesture. And an amazing initiative by a waiter. Showed ownership and identity. I almost got how Chung Hua had retained its magic :)

No comments:

Post a Comment