Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Ram's Love for the Veena

At times (in fact many a time) total chance enables some lovely events. 

When at Girija's, she happened to take me to the basement for something, and I see this Veena sitting there. I kind of knew Ram learnt the Veena, so I was like, 'you think he'll play if I ask', and she's like 'he's very shy, ask and see'.


Surprise, surprise, he not just agreed, but did a small kacheri for us. His knowledge of the raagas was so extensive that I listened in total wonder. Ram's mother was a carnatic sangeetham teacher plus a veena player, and the learning evidently goes back many many years. And then, he has himself been learning for five years now, and not just religiously goes every Saturday, but also practices even on work days. I was pretty impressed by the level of commitment.

He played some of his favorites...I recall Hindolam, Shivaranjani and something kuthuhalam. And I was so thrilled to recognize one song, Samaja Varagamana from Shankarabharanam.

Thanks Ram, for agreeing so spontaneously........for allowing a peep into this world you so apparently love and enjoy...and  for making that last visit something special.

No comments:

Post a Comment