Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Day 3 at Auroville - Matri Mandir

The Matri Mandir is considered the 'soul of Auroville'.

It's an absolutely mind blowing structure. Not just visually or architecturally....but even experientially.

It is an edifice of spiritual significance. I read somewhere that a visit to the matri mandir is a 'compelling and memorable architectural encounter', and I can vouch for this, as my earlier visit from twenty five years back is yet etched in memory. And it happened yet again.

We're told in advance that it is no tourist sight, and is a space meant for individual silent concentration.

It's in fact not easy to get in, they have a slot system. For same day you get a pass to a view point, but to go in, you get a slot in a day or two. To my total disappointment they slots for my three days were booked out.

But then, the guy must have seen the disappointment quite evident on my face, cause he said "if it's fine with you, just come in the morning, and if there are any cancellations I'll take you in". He wouldn't even give me a wait list number, even that was full. But I diligently went......and yes, I lucked out.

The experience was even deeper than last times.


About the structure itself......it was built between 1971 and 2008, actually took 37 years to build. And I read this beautiful line somewhere 'the matri mandir was built with time and not money'. Says so so much.

It's entirely white inside, white pillars, white walls, white carpets, white socks........and the golden leafs on the outside lend the inner walls a kind of bronze glow. We're not allowed cameras in, the inner pictures are courtesy google.


As you enter you see a large chamber with gentle streams of water cascading down its white marble walls. Spiral ramps on all sides leading to an utterly silent meditation hall — a cocoon of peace and quietude that is believed to have first appeared in several visions to the Mother.

At its heart is a specially-designed crystal sphere from Germany (the largest optically-perfect glass globe in the world) that catches almost a single sunbeam entering from the top of the dome..........and it's reflection off the crystal is what lights the dome. 


The whole experience is almost surreal....and so experiential, that I guess I would say it's a once in a life time worthwhile experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment