Sunday, October 20, 2019

Day 2 at Auroville

A day of random exploration.

Arka guest house, where I stayed served coffee, with breakfast, from 8 in the morning. Not early enough for me. My morning cup of coffee was motivation enough to start my exploration early.

Took the bike and set off at 6. Nothing was open, forget the fancier cafes like Neem Tree and Dreamer's Cafe (which later became hang out places), but even Dinesh hotel a cute little dhabha within auroville wasn't open. I ended up on the highway, and found a chai shop.

What was nice was that I got to know a couple of interesting folks even there. Kunal who runs a back packer's hostel in one of the communes in Auroville, and Mayura who is exploring possibilities of joining him as business partner.

That was nice early morning chat over a couple of coffees. And what's more, they invited me over to see the place, and that's how the days exploration started.

With the little bike I spent a significant part of the morning, and evening, just on the roads inside Auroville.

Pretty much taking which ever turning took my fancy..... there's no boards or names of roads in Auroville......you slowly learn to recognize shapes of trees, odd stones, and colour of mud kinds :)

Occasionally you'll see little boards indicating the names of the communes..... like citadine, aspiration, arati, la ferme, swayam, gaia.....with the houses themselves deeply hidden in the foliage. Each commune a different style, size, interaction level between residents and such. That said there is a strong homogeneity among aurovillians.

Each of the commune names apparently has a psychological significance, in fact it's said that the names were chosen by sensing the spirit of the place.

What strikes at even first glance is the architecture, especially of the older houses, each building seems different, at one time eco-friendly and futuristic, likely also built to represent ideals it stands for. Especially the schools. It's like there's art everywhere.

Auroville also has the highest concentration of alternative energy systems in India, including solar, wind and biogas. A large number of homes and offices operate entirely or mostly on solar power. Apart from solar energy, the auroville community is said to be a world leader in compressed earth building techniques.

Anything I write about Auroville starts to sound abstract and ideological, and that's when you start to appreciate what they've achieved in reality. And not to miss the fact that you start to see how life can actually be lived at those subtler levels, it's like living an alternate dimension of life.

For instance this: "it's a concept which understands biophysical reality as an evolutionary unfoldment of the spirit"....... and the pioneers began with revitalizing the land.

Three million trees later it is said to be one of the few places on earth where biodiversity is actually increasing.

Isn't that such a wow.

Looks like I can keep writing... the more I process, the more I read......the feelings are shifting from intrigued to fascinated to enthralled almost. Will stop for pictures now:

Arka guest house, where I stayed.


Another picture of the same place


Peacocks seem usual visitors


My room...very basic, and very comfortable


The terrace outside my room


They had this lovely library, with a brilliant collection of books. And again, look at the architecture....it's like the shelves are walls and open to nature outside. I could have spent much longer there than I did. Next time :)


Where I got my bike. Though it's an electric bike it was really easy in Auroville as several spaces have charging points, including my guest house.


That's 'Neem Tree' my regular dinner place, where I again met some lovely people.


One was Raj... an ex corporate honcho turned bamboo farmer. He insisted I note his name in my contacts as 'Raj Farmer':) Listening to him talk you feel he almost talks to his bamboo trees.

Another was Stenna, a full on happy energy theatre artist from Norway. She said when she first came to auroville, she was like 'no way'. And she came again and again, and now she says 'she hasn't been happier in life'. Another wow !

The picture was the three of them who I had dinner with.

The arm on the right is the third, another super interesting guy who's visiting.... who wouldn't reveal anything about himself, not name, place, phone number, what he does....nothing. But was happy to have intense conversations late into the night, in the 'here and now' only he said :)


Some pictures from driving through the commune


While we mostly see scooters and bikes, there are some paths like this which allow only cycles


One space which had some sign boards, and they were so cutely and artistically done


A random house I came across. Photographed it as most other houses don't even give this much access


Loved this picture. I could pause anywhere and take a picture, and all I'd see where trees and birds and mud roads......and the occassional people walking or riding around, mostly on cycles or bikes. I've never seen as many women on mobikes as I have in auroville.


A bamboo farm within


What a way to say 'don't litter' :)


Another cute sign board


With Deepa who had a mini adventure. We kind of got talking one day, she'd come to auroville to play a frisbee match. And next day she calls saying she had a snake in her room. That conversation ended such that she came and stayed over with me, and we found ourselves chatting late into the night. Another solo traveller and so happy to have met her.


Raj, listening to you talk, about anything and everything...and most of all about bamboo was just fascinating.

Stenna, your enthu and joy was wonderful to see, especially your instant fanning.....so cute and so inspiring.

And anon, was as lovely meeting you...and inshallah, another time, another day :)

Deepa, glad for that snake in your room, what else can I say :)

Even as I was writing this, I got a call from an old friend, Kusuma, saying she's now inspired to go to auroville. First off I was happy to see her still reading the blog, and second off that even before I'd finished my series on Auroville, it was having such immediate impact.

The place does that to you.....if you have the calling :)

An add on : Raj is looking for volunteers on his farm. He just sent me an audio clip which reads like this:

"I am looking for a volunteer who can farm with me, and if I can find one or two people, I'll be really happy....maybe your article can help me find one.....volunteers for six months.... and they will do yoga and meditation before they start farming.... yoga and meditation starts by 6.30, finishes by like 7.30.....and then they can do farming with me till about 11.30, which is a yoga also no.....it'll be nice" Raj - 7708712512

No comments:

Post a Comment