Saturday, November 5, 2016

Nature's Own Display

This was on a recent morning walk at Lalbagh. While rounding the lake, I noticed an unusual energy around, and it didn't take long to identify source.......across the lake there were an exceptional lot of  birds, big birds.....mostly falcons and kites circling and hovering around an area at the far corner.

As I got nearer that corner of the lake I also saw a whole lot of pelicans on the lake surface in the same area.

And then also a lot of curious onlookers.

I took a couple of pictures as it seemed unusual and interesting. Once home, I was telling diksha about it and she's like, 'aah, that.......every once in a while the pelicans do this group thing where they slowly drive the fish from all directions into one corner of the lake, a fishing tactic....and the other predator birds know....  so they also swoop in for a share '

First off, I was impressed by this titbit of knowledge, and then of course she quickly reminded me of her having been part of several bird watching expeditions.

Was an interesting morning...the sighting and the discussion.



Folks with DSLRs is a common sight at lalbagh, but this was like all in one place


The pictures couldn't really catch it all, so you'll need to use some imagination as well. Now, just so you get to see a nicer picture of the pelicans, which a fancier camera and cameraman would catch, I googled for it... here's one of the pelicans in Lalbagh, the black birds around are cormorants.
                                 
And as I googled, I had a pleasant surprise.....one of my own earlier pictures also came up in Google images...brought on a smile :)

   

1 comment: