Friday, November 11, 2016

A Little Experiment

I decided to try out a small experiment, my own go at breaking barriers, a gesture to enable level playing.  

I guess it's in Google that I learnt how implementing a policy can happen also at very subtle levels. Google prides itself on it's level playing approach...and one way of doing this was, no fancy designations and no fancy cabins.  And irrespective of position or experience or age, or any which differentiator, everyone calls everyone else by first name, be it Narsimha at the dinner counter, or Larry, Sergey or Eric.

I thought I'd flip it over. I decided to address anyone whose service I use as Sir and Madam. I started with auto drivers and cab drivers. 

It's so interesting, not to speak of satisfying, to see what that little gesture of respect can do. None of them say anything, but it's impact is so visible in their body language...at times you can almost see their body straighten up, feel more important, feel good, and that's the absolute idea.

This evening at Parivarthan, there was a scooter parked right behind my car. There was this guy, likely a driver or mechanic walking by, and I was like 'Sir, nimdaa scooter', and while he said no, and I could first see the doubt on his face, and then, there was no mistaking the glow when I again said 'help maadthira Sir'. He was happy to help, and I was as happy, not as much about his help, but more to have enabled that additional smile.

Gave me chance to smile too :)

1 comment:

  1. Sir and Madam got done away with in the so called modern companies. Then, they continued as subservience. I still remember as a 23 year old when I joined New India, I was called madam by all my seniors. Even today, in the PSU culture, we address each other as Sir and Madam. But anyday, I prefer the "bhaisahab" and "amma" and "didi" used mutually.. :) Sir and madam have too much baggage..

    ReplyDelete