Thursday, November 24, 2016

Girija, On Stage Again

Passion brings out a commitment, persistence and joy that's pretty much unmatched ....and it's what came out in that one word, when after the dance I asked Girija how it had felt, and she said 'Exhilarating'. 

Especially for those who've recognized and acknowledged it, and even more, found the clarity and courage to pursue it in the later years of life....surely goes an extra bow. The story as it originated is in 'A let's dance moment'

On behalf of her group, she said, 'we're all learning for the joy of it, we're not here to showcase our skills, but to share our joy and passion'. These ladies did a small skit before the dance, each narrating the issues they overcome to do those two days a week dance classes....kids to finish homework, skipping parties, facing dissenting voices...even turning a blind eye to knee pain. That's them in the dressing room, fourth from left is Girija.  


Lavani, a folk dance from Maharashtra, and that's girija in the foreground, right


Another pic of the lavani


Some other dances from the evening. Upfront is Karthik, also the man behind the scene. He runs dance schools in four locations at Bangalore, and has over a hundred enthusiastic learners, and their adulation for him was evident from not just their words but also the whistles and applause from them.

This was an invocation dance choreographed to 'he gananaaya...'


How blue can it get...this was a graceful dance to the song 'O re piyaa' from Rajneethi


A full energy number to the song 'bang bang'


Another number by Girija and team, 'ye hosla from Dor'


This was a beautiful silhouette before a dance


This was a kind of dance ballet representing a dancers journey from the moment of knowing ..... ....the difficulties and obstacles.... the confusions........and finally the joy and glory of discovery. Very powerful choreographed.


Girija telling Karthik that their group was here to stay, and how, now that he'd shown them a taste of dance ( and liberation) they just wanted more....you can see his faking exasperation there :)


Girija was keen on doing a Helen number, she even had the song selected.....hope to see that next year pal !!

14 comments:

  1. My soul mate resonating with my joy for my passion, lending an encouraging heart to my doubtful one, gently goading me to unshackle and let go of baggage of doubts.Thankful to you for again and again building my belief in me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found your passion and stuck it out girija, and so glad you did....also, touched by all you've said..thanks in turn :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you ,Doctor.you are the backbone for my self discovery

      Delete
  4. Girija mam is very much passionate about dance & it reflects clearly during classes, rehearsals & on stage.

    Smitha mam, thanks for coming & sharing your review about our event SparkLights 3. Please do supporting & encouraging us like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kartik for being gentle and persuasive with us,building confidence in us to do more than what we think we can.

      Delete
  5. Karthik, Congratulations on a wonderful program...I was happy to have been there.

    I'm truly appreciative for the joy, fun, energy and expression you are enabling in so many people, across Bangalore and across age groups. And also of the honesty and intensity you bring to your dance, not just in the beauty of the dance, which is evident, but also in the discipline and commitment you evoke; it was clearly visible in the way the event was conducted...in it's punctuality, crispness, attention to detail be it lighting or costume, music.......all good stuff. Keep it going Karthik, and kudos to you and your team !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smitha a neat and beautiful review on Girija and the dance ballet headed by Karthik.. I watched both the dances on video since I am in Chennai. Girija is my niece and I was indeed proud of her performing on the stage.. It was really amazing when I heard she has been learning dance which had been her passion and she could pursue on it after retiring from her job.. Both the ballets were excellent.. Credit goes to the teacher as well.. Karthik has done a great job behind and on stage.. He is talent oriented and am glad Girija had performed very well with grace under his tutelage.. Looking forward for more.. Congrats whole team.. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sudha. Probably my desire to be on stage was triggered when as a 10 year old I was left gawking at all the beautiful movie stars guests that came to your wedding stage. One day I too wanted to be in the lights.

      Delete
    2. I am happy my wedding has been an inspiration for your aspirations..your efforts and dedication had made you succeed.. Your friend knows your abilities and you need people to encourage you.. I am also in that list for your betterment and achievements in your goal.. Keep going and growing.. God Bless..

      Delete
  7. Hi Sudha....glad you liked the write up. And your words mean much, especially when they come from a writer, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for acknowledging me as a writer.. But like Girija I did not pursue my suddenly found skill in me.. Situation did not help me.. But God has given me the aptitude to use my words for appreciation and encouragement whenever my close people need it most..

      Delete
  8. Wow Girija....well done .... great rediscovering yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sujatha. I would rather call it discovering.

      Delete