Tuesday, October 25, 2016

A Trek.....

Last Sunday, Sujata and I did a Trek. A trek up a hill at Channanarayana Durga, around 100 kms from Bangalore.

It was one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences.
                     Image result for channarayana durga fort

Soon after we got back, I was like "Sujata, bol......theen words mein bol, kaisa tha" (tell me the experience in three words). And she goes...'Exciting'....'Achievement'.......and......and.......beech mein bahuth kuch (lots in between).

And then adds 'beech mein life and death'. Well, I guess an artist, and a poet will say it just right, and she did. 

My take on those three words:

The 'Excitement', in hindsight was all before the trek, all in the anticipation.....because we were completely ignorant, and knew nothing about what a trek comprised of, and had used normal english to understand the word 'moderate' in climbing difficulty......a faux pas for first time trekkers, and definitely so for the not so young trekkers. The fact that it was organized by the Bangalore Mountaineering Club should have set off the alarm bells (but that's if you're listening I guess :)

And 'Achievement', was all after, as we were just glad to have even been able to complete it, and more essentially make it back alive, and in one piece ( what can be bigger achievement after atleast thirty minutes of each moment expecting to lose foothold and roll down the hill). I already had Jack-and- Jill-went-up-the hill ...came- tumbling-after, humming in my head.

What was in between was this horribly tough and terrifying experience, with several this-is-it moments.

Going up was pure undiluted tough........ steep, hot, exerting, breathless....with a couple of distress stops too, when Sujata got dizzy on a steep slope. We have our guide screaming down at her saying, 'no, no, you can't lie down, you'll loose balance and roll', and me saying....'leave her alone, she needs to'.......it was madness.

Then one part of me (actually mostly the whole of me) thinking...I could have been sitting at home and writing......I never intended or even wanted to trek in my life...... We were just planning a historical site visit.....when did this switch happen......this was on her bucket list and not mine.....what the hell am I even doing here :)

Then the crazy effort to keep all those thoughts at bay and focus on the task at hand....focus on the next foothold...focus on keeping the body aligned and alert.......I don't think I've done too many things on sheer mental focus and will, as I did this one. If I ever thought I wasn't strong on will power, that became myth.

And then the coming down.......that was blood chilling, as a single loss of foothold meant a neat roll down. There were places where you had no idea where to even put your foot, as there wasn't even that one centimeter of ledge to get a foothold. (sujata in fact did some stretches sitting, which to me looked even more dangerous).

And our guide then adding his mountaineering gyan 'koyi ghir raha hai tho, usko girne dho, pakadna math, aap bhi giroge' (if someone falls do not hold, else you'll fall too) and to me that sounded like, if you fall, I won't be holding.


That's the Channanarayana Fort right on top


One thing I must mention though. After Sujata had her dizzying spell and all, we managed to get ourselves to a half way mark......one lone tree with some semblance of shade. There she was given energy booster liquids and stuff, and I completely settled down to wait till the rest of the group returns to join them on their way down. 

But within five mins she was like 'chal..utt', and I was so amazed....amazed at the focus and desire that made her overcome the dizzy spell and decide to go ahead. And no amount of sensible talk could change her mind, not that I tried much...it was after all her day. 

And that rest of walk, though as steep and exerting, was so well worth it....in terms of not just the beauty of the fort ruins, the spectacular views, but also to enable that sense of achievement that we carry with us today. Hats off to your grit and determination Sujata !

That was the entire group, seventeen of us.


The upward walk

Image result for channarayana durga fort

Sujata, at the top...the fort entrance
                                                      

Some local folks we met within the fort, and from who I was desperately trying to get if there was an easier way down
                       

A part of the fort ruin that reminded me of the King Louie song from Jungle Book


On the way up, somewhere in the beginning......later, even to turn back for a picture we had to find a flat surface, as there's good chance the head would spin if we turned suddenly...might sound exaggerated, but trust me, it was just that.


One of the spectacular views

Image result for channarayana durga fort

Some boulders at the base 


This was a total surprise ...a lake, right on top of the hill, inside the fort

                                

A little old temple within the fort ruins, the only shade available, where we had our lunch

Image result for channarayana durga fort

Mateesh, an avid and professional mountaineer....one of our guides too. He just so belongs in the mountains...amazing to see that connect that he has.


A scary moment. As you can see, once I let go off that rock, there's really nothing to even hold onto for a long way down.


There's the moment at the top..when S still had the energy for a V :)


A spectacular rockface, and we could actually go under it all the way


If I had to think of an encapsulated instance of pushing boundaries, this would surely be great example. Beyond comfort zone.....in constant awareness of risk.....stretching to achieve.

And yes, each muscle creak the next day (and trust me, they all made themselves felt) was an excruciating but endearing pain...the kind you love to feel, as it's reminder of what caused the pain and the achievement that came with it.  

6 comments:

  1. Aah.. you wrapped the whole thing so well with words... yes, it was on my bucket list. and what a thrilling day was it .... it sure will remain as ever lasting memory. :) And a big Kudos to us for achieving it in the end ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 😲OMG! Appears like you both had you 'once in lifetime' experience! It's great achievement n something to be proud off. Kudos! Surekha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Surekha! Yep, it was an omg kind of experience only...and yes again, will fully take the kudos :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sujatha, glad you got this off your bucket list..I won't even ask what else is on it.
    Also so glad to have shared this with you.... Now feels exhilarating :)

    ReplyDelete