Monday, September 5, 2016

A thought from my walk

On this mornings walk at Lalbagh, I saw this elderly and respectable looking gentleman plucking flowers....cute little red flowers, one by one getting plucked off and disappearing into a cover in his hand.

One part of me was screaming out....stop, tell him.....the flowers look so pretty, they belong in the park, on the plant.....and there's so many people in the park for whom their beauty adds.....stop, stop.....tell.....and by the time that thought could reach fruition, I had passed on by.

What happened?

Last week, when I saw a driver plucking flowers, I didn't hesitate to stop and tell him. Earlier, when I saw a child do it in our complex, I stopped to say it's nice to let the flowers be. 

So what happened today?

I allowed 'elderly' and 'respectable' to inhibit me....to fool me...to control me.

We are so conditioned into 'respect your elders', that it even translates into....'at the cost of not doing what you think is right'

Food for thought. It's possible to tell...tell with love and respect. Hopefully, if I see it happen tomorrow, I'll find it in me to tell... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment