Thursday, April 14, 2016

Nandi's Day at the Service Station

Leaving Nandi (our car) at the service station brought a story to mind.

             
                   Nandi, on his first road trip

There was nothing the matter with the car, and this I realized when the guy at the service station asked for complaints. I had none.......seven years and it was good as new. Just that it had been a while and I thought it could do with it's regular overhaul. 

A picture at the Fiat Service Center...As always a sucker for nostalgia

On the surface, it seems like a parallel to how we, as people, are expected to go for regular medical checkups. But then, one significant difference hit me. When we go for a medical check up, what we would typically come back with, is maybe a list of parameters that are off the norm. We've seen enough cases of people who go for a regular check up and end up knowing they have a major ailment, at times needing surgery as remedy. I'm not questioning the veracity of that ( though we have enough reason to do that as well), but the whole approach. 

When the car goes for servicing, it gets a nice overhaul........ a mechanism to maintain and prevent issues and breakdowns. Do we have an equivalent of this?

That's where the dots connected.

The other day someone asked me why I do so many random courses....does it have a use, does it have a purpose, they asked. Well, it mostly doesn't, atleast not in terms of using it in career and such. 

It's my way of 'sharpening my axe' (remember the story of the woodcutter). All of these courses.... the teachers, have learnt something, and are offering us that learning.  I find that if we can attend with an open mind, we surely come back with that something new learnt....that much more enriched.....even if at times in the form of a reiteration of something already known. It can shift the mindset, shift the energy and at time even change trajectory. If not something so basic, it can surely shift your approach and attitude that degree or two. Each a new learning.

The question is not 'do I need it'...it's more like.... 'will I grow from it'.

Thanks Nandi, for seven years of driving me around, being part of so many wonderful road trips, and now for enabling yet another lesson.

3 comments:

  1. Had an AHA after reading the post!!!

    I always believe in the concept of.."Prevent and Prepare than repent and repair"..

    Of late forgot about it...thanks, your post acted as a reminder ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad Kiran....and this so well exemplifies how even a reiteration helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. True mam.
    Learning has no limitation.
    I have seen a gentlemen who is 73 and did his PhD in economics.
    Joined for ca course.
    I am so happy to meet such ppl.

    ReplyDelete