Wednesday, March 7, 2018

A meaningful 'sorry' matters....

A little incident which brought this out in depth (pun intended)

I was out buying samosas with mom yest, and she told me this:

"I was cleaning a draw and at the base I found a card from you, from 1988. And I remembered.....you had come to my office, all the way to vidyanagar, to give it to me. You had written 'I'm sorry ma, didn't mean to hurt you, I know that conversation went bad and it was my own frustrations that came out onto you. Really didn't mean to hurt you. I know you are worried about what I'm getting into, but believe me, I am even more so. Please trust me on it. Sorry again"

I was at first amused, it's after all from thirty years back. And then touched......not as much about the content or card , but the fact that she still had it. She's moved houses and she's apparently moved it with her...a moment or an experience that's meant enough to hold on to.

While it's ideal that we don't get into situations that need apologies, we yet do....being human I guess, and for folks like me who are more impetuous and impulsive, more so. 

This worked as a reiteration of how any effort to 'own the behavior' and 'communicate the sorry' is after all, worthwhile.  

No comments:

Post a Comment