Monday, March 20, 2017

Angana, at Raintree

This was another Vijji kind of outing. A group of her friends were having a Chettinad saree sale. 

The story behind the sale is what really caught my attention. These ladies, as a group are funding the education of fifteen underprivileged girls, through their higher education, with a couple of students who are even studying medicine. The money for the purpose is raised through a sale of Chettinad sarees once a year. All these ladies are from Chettinad you see.


Another factor that had me piqued was that this group had gotten to know each other as followers of Nityananda. They were like his core group years back when he'd just started, and I've heard of some brilliant stories from then. And while there have been disruptions there, they still swear by him and say that he is their guru. That can be a whole different conversation I guess. Prabha, reserving time with you for this next time.

That's them, and not to miss all of them draped in such pretty chettinad sarees. We of course bought too :)


A picture of the room, it was nicely done but I couldn't get a better picture


The address itself was a story. The sale was being held at Raintree, and vijji aunty made it sound like anybody in Bangalore would know the what and where of Raintree. We get till Sankey Road and then find that no one there has heard of Raintree. 

So we get on GPS, and I'm following directions, and at one point it says you are at your destination. I saw nothing. I had Windsor Manor on my right and a big tall wall on my left. And I couldn't believe my gps could do this. A couple calls later we realize that this is a house opposite Windsor Manor that actually uses that private bridge across the road. It was a wow experience even driving across it. Not because it's Windsor Manor, but because that bridge for some reason is etched in memory from a silent movie from long ago 'pushpaka vimanam'. Strange associations.

I was concerned about parking space, and this was the ground of the house


The house itself was stunning... a relic of old Bangalore... simply beautiful 


The Angana group....as I said that day, there's a great energy in that room....in essence, in your group. Good luck and keep the wonderful work going !!!

Inshallah, I'll be back next year, even to be that miniscule part of your initiative...and ofcourse for more chettinad sarees :)

2 comments: