Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Tumbbad

A film that I'd say reinvents horror in Indian Cinema.

A visually stunning film about folklore and metaphor and greed. Greed not just of man, but even God....demons not just out there, but as much within the mind.


Visually rich doesn't say enough of the brilliant cinematography, in terms of atmosphere, open landscapes juxtaposed with gripping claustrophobia. The incessant rain, which also the village is cursed with. create some stunning landscapes. Beautiful and eerie. Even to pick a picture to put in here, I got lost in looking as each is like a stunning painting.

A beautifully structured film, that gets told in three chapters between 1913 and 1947, with components of folklore, horror, drama and beauty.

It's a story set in Tumbbad, a cursed village that has created a temple to a god who was shunned for his greed. Ancestors of the god, continue to manifest the greed.  There's horror so yes, there are demons too. 

Rural Maharashtra of the pre-independence era......Brahmin patriarchy, the caste and gender oppression, the demons of greed....are all enmeshed into one weave of evil. It can't but haunt and overwhelm. 

It's rigorously and gloriously detailed, and I read later that it was seven years in the making, and you get why. And what's fascinating was to learn that Tumbbad really exists, close to Pune, and the film was shot in the Wada (fort) there. And what's more, the village does have a legend of a hidden treasure too.

I'm not going into storyline as it's yet in theatres, and I'd strongly recommend, especially the opportunity to catch it in large screen, so don't want to be a spoiler.

I'm not one to watch horror, but with Dhruva's strong recommendation, and willingness to come with me a second time,  I guess that one part of me caved. With reluctance I booked. And in the car when he said "amma, if there are scenes in the film you can't handle, don't get up and leave ok, just close your eyes and ears", I was all set for a real trip. 

It delivered that and way more. So so glad I went. 

No comments:

Post a Comment